Blue Berry Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalBrew31

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I am about to make my first attempt at a Fruit beer and was looking for some advice from those of you who have tried this yourselves.

I am working with blueberry, more specific blueberry concentrate. I am trying to determine what the best method is for introducing that into my lager base. Also what containers are best for fermenting, I usually us a 6.5 glass carboy for primary, and a 5 gal glass carboy for secondary. I have read that this can be a risk due to the amount of fermentation taking place. Finally, what is a good temp for primary and secondary, 65 degrees?

Any other advice for me?

What have you decided on for the base beer? If it's a lager, you'll want to ferment it at 48-50 degrees and probably do a diacetyl rest before adding the flavoring and then lagering.

If you're planning an ale, most ale yeast strains will work just fine at 65 degrees. A cream ale base beer might be good for a blueberry base, although I've never tried making a berry beer so someone else who has done it may be able to give you better advice!

Back