Columbus/Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobdee

Reaction score
Anyone brew this combo? I was thinking of a straight out 50/50 combo for bittering, flavor and dry hop.

Save the citra for late additions, that is where it shines. I made a hoppy belgian with this combo and it just wasn't my cup of tea. Good luck!

I prefer Columbus and Simcoe or Columbus and Apollo.... something more like Columbus.

For a fruity/tropical focus, Amarillo & Citra are good. Or Centennial & Citra.

I do have a little Mosaic and Simcoe left over, maybe I should save the Columbus for something else. Also have a bunch of Centennial but want to save that for a Two Hearted clone.

I think it sounds good...I've done a lot of columbus blends lately and they come out great. Just bitter with the columbus though, after that, 50/50. Did a columbus/cascade and a columbus/summit and they were really nice.

Bitter with the cheaper higher AA Columbus, but for the love of god don't discount it as a late/dry hop addition. I think columbus is one of the best tasting hops when added post-ferment.

Our IPA mainstay is mostly Columbus - we love the smoothness. However we usually bitter with Warrior too, the Columbus doesn't have the punch we like. We do use Citra, but only right at the very end/flameout; we don't much care for the grapefruity taste, but do love it in the nose.

Agree with pretty much everything said. Bitter with Columbus only. The only other advice, if you want a fifty/fifty ratio of flavor/aroma I'd adjust to something like 60%columbus/40% citra or 65columbus/35citra. Citra, in my experience is a lot more potent flavor/aroma wise and can easily overpower other hops in later additions. I'd go 60/40, taste it before you dry hop and adjust if you want to pull the smell one way or the other.

Thanks for the advise guys, lots of good info. I don't know what I'll do yet, maybe I'll just do a straight Columbus Pale Ale to get a feel for it before I mix it with anything else.

Good call; that's where we started, with a Columbus IPA kit from MoreBeer... and slowly deviated from that. But it was quite good as-is, good enough to start with!

Ok I blew off the Columbus APA and this is what I did today. I brewed a 2.5 gal batch of IPA with 6 lbs English 2 row, .25 lb crystal 20 and .5 lb honey. OG 1.072

Hop shedule was:
1oz Columbus 13.9 AA FWH
1oz Columbus 13.9 AA FO
1oz Citra 14.2 AA FO

I will also dry hop this with 1-2 oz but still thinking on that. What do you guys recommend?

Well, I don't think you can go anywhere near wrong with a combo of any of those. Late-night-half-drunkenly-concocting me would like to smell 1oz Centennial, 1/2oz Citra, 1/2oz Simcoe on that beer though. 2 oz on 2.5 gallons should put a good stank on it :ban:

I brewed a citra/Columbus IPA. Just kegged it today...

2row
Red wheat
Munich
60L
Honey

Magnum @60
Columbus @15 and @10
Citra @5
Columbus and citra @FO
and dry hopped with both.

Had a little taste at kegging and OH MY LORD! My buddy gets married in three weeks. I made a saison for the wedding and this IPA is supposed to be for Pre and post parties....hopefully I can control myself and the wife from dipping in early

Latest posts

Back