Me. Beer kit + more.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a digital thermometer in there and it stays between 65 and 75degress. Perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Depending on your yeast 75* may be way too high. Most prefer to be kept below 70*.

Do you know about swamp coolers? It's what I do. But I also live in TX where it's hot as hell! It'll be in the low 80's today while others have snow!

If that digital thermometer is measuring room temp, the beer temp might be quite a bit higher. Also, if it's measuring wort temp, having 10* swings in wort temp won't make the yeast very happy - the little buggers don't take kindly to temperature swings. Not to say it won't work, but if you can do something like the swamp cooler rodwha mentioned you will probably be very happy with the results.

Well thanks for the input! Today I transfered my red ale to the secondary fermenter for another week. It stopped fermenting after 5 days...I was very surprised. I even swirled it around a lil bit to try and adgitate the yeast but I'm sure it was done. I live in nc now. My room stays at a constant temp plus I have a fermometer on my pumpkin ale. It's showing 73 to 74 degrees right now. The pumpkin ale got so feisty I had to stop with my airlock and do something new. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392926057.991578.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

73* is a bit warm for most ale strains. Do you know the temp range for the yeast you used? Most want to be kept below 68*.

Usually (all depending on yeast strain) mid or even low 60's is ideal.

Indeed, unless your doing a Saison or some Belgian beers, 63-67 is target

Latest posts

Back