McCormick Extract and Citric Acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimzella

Reaction score
Hello everyone :) So far I have made three sodas kegged in 5 gallon Corney Kegs. One was root beer, the other was a Lemon Lime and then Orange. They all turned out great ( read up on force carbing sodas tho, its different than beer - PSI, dispensing tubing ect ) Yooper mentions this somewhere in a post I have read a while back.. I have 25 feet of tube and it pours great at 30PSI.

well, back to my original question. I will need to know about how much citric acid to use for 5 gallons of soda. I plan to use two McCormick Raspberry extract flavoring (1oz each). I used these extracts with the Lemon\Lime and Orange sodas I made a few months ago with great success. When I made these two sodas, I did use Fruit Juices. I zest the oranges, lemons and limes and I also squeezed out all the juices. For the orange,, I added two cans of Minute Maid frozen concentrate no pulp no calcium and sugar (Dominos pure cane). After these were carbonated they tasted fantastic and I will most definitely make them again.

Here is where I need help. I am pretty sure from reading up on soda making, That I will prob,, most likely, need to add citric acid to this new soda I am attempting to make. Oranges and lemons have natural citric acid.. so I had no needs to add any. Raspberry on the other hand,, not so much. What would be a safe level (amount) of citric acid for 5 gallons of soda? I have searched this question on homebrewtalk and google but really have not found any real answers to a 5 gallon batch.

Thank you all for any help you may have,
-Dave

It turned out great. Quite simple it ends up.

My ingredients:

5 gallons of double charcoal filtered tap water.
9 cups of cane sugar (adjust to your liking.. 8-10 cups. I feel anymore than 10 might be a bit much).
3 (1oz.) bottles of McCormick Raspberry extract.
30-40 grams of Citric Acid. (i used about 35 grams).
about 25 drops of Red food coloring for pink effect.

I just warmed up about 2 gallons or so of water just to melt sugar. Tossed it in the corney keg and topped off with filtered water. added the citric acid extract and food coloring then stir. Placed corney keg in beer fridge (35F) and put Co2 at 35 PSI. Looks and tastes refreshing.

thumbnail_IMG_2434.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2435.jpg

Latest posts

Back