Got my water report, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logdrum

Reaction score
Latest Cleveland Water Dept report (2012):

Chloride: 22
TDS: 160
Magnesium: 7.1
Calcium: 33
pH: 7.0-7.6
Alkalinity: 81
Hardness (as CaCO3): 120
Sodium: 10.7
Total Organic Carbon: 1.9

How do I treat this water for (mostly) APAs IPAs & Ambers?

There are many paths you can take from here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/
is one - a starting point.

You should probably send a sample off to Ward Labs to find out what the sulfate level is though as it is something around 22 mg/L the recommendation of the primer (URL above) will be to dilute 1:1 with RO and not worry about it further.

Thanks MBTB & AJ. I'm curious as well as to why no sulfate reported-this is directly from Cleveland Water Dept. I filter, so perhaps a sampling to Wards is in order. I have to admit though, I'm fundamentally opposed to RO and would prefer not to go that route, if possible. I know for a fact the pro brewers here in town ( Great Lakes, Fat Heads, Market Garden-Andy Tveekrem's new-ish place) do not RO the water. I find the process extremely wasteful, plus it removes the "terroir" if you will, from the brewer. (Merroir?) Is there another avenue I could pursue to combat alkalinity?

You could use acid/acidulated malt to lower mash Ph
There is a spot in EZWATER calc. for acid malt additions.
:mug:

Thanks MBTB & AJ. I'm curious as well as to why no sulfate reported-this is directly from Cleveland Water Dept. I filter, so perhaps a sampling to Wards is in order.

They are not required to test it and may not for no more subtle a reason than that. Also, I estimated 22 mg/L based on the electrical imbalance of what you did report but it may in fact be much less than that.

I have to admit though, I'm fundamentally opposed to RO and would prefer not to go that route, if possible. I know for a fact the pro brewers here in town ( Great Lakes, Fat Heads, Market Garden-Andy Tveekrem's new-ish place) do not RO the water.

RO is one of the 4 technologies that has revolutionized brewing. People are able to brew in places where they could not brew before. It grants infinite flexibilty. It transformed by beers from good to excellent. I really think it's a godsend but that doesn't mean you have to.

I find the process extremely wasteful,

Home Depot systems have recoveries of less than 20% so if you take 10 gallons of water to brew 5 gallons of beer you waste 40 gallons of water. That's extremely wasteful? 40 gallons of beer down the drain is extremely wasteful but 40 gal of water? We are not in the center of the Australian ouback. Actually, I didn't look at your location. Maybe you are in Victoria Downs.

plus it removes the "terroir" if you will, from the brewer. (Merroir?)

I think terroir is a stretch in brewing. Yes, it is, WRT, at least partially responsible for the styles as we know them but we don't brew only 1 style. We want to brew lots of beers. Remember that it is possible to make a Burton ale or a Bohemian pilsner that is appreciably better than the originals because you are not forced to use the water as presented to the original brewers of those beers.

Is there another avenue I could pursue to combat alkalinity?

Yes, there are several but if you use and of them you are, IMO, violating the terroir concept as surely as if you use RO.

I'm suggesting a 1:1 dilution to combat alkalinity. That means half the water in the beer is your original water. Does this violate terroir? How about a 10% dilution?

I'm not trying to sell RO nor discourage you from pursuing the terroir mantra. It is really up to you to decide what you want to do. The reason I advocate RO for people starting out is that it can simplify their lives a lot and get them to better beer faster.

AJ-First off, thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I guess my visceral opposition to RO is the notion that there is a finite availability of fresh water. Like anything else though, sometimes sacrifices must be made. I'll look into my RO options. Is distilled water a viable option for dilution?

You could use acid/acidulated malt to lower mash Ph
There is a spot in EZWATER calc. for acid malt additions.
:mug:

I do use acid malt-as well as H3PO4 in the sparge-it cetainly lowers the pH, but I'm still left w/ a mineral-like component that bugs me. I've been using bru'n water for calculating additions.

RO is one of the 4 technologies that has revolutionized brewing. People are able to brew in places where they could not brew before. It grants infinite flexibilty. It transformed by beers from good to excellent. I really think it's a godsend but that doesn't mean you have to.

What are the other 3?

What are the other 3?

Opinion here again but I think they are:

1. Fast, inexpensive computers: It used to take me over night to compute the mineral additions for a couple of profiles. I can now do that in a minute or two using an Excel spreadsheet.

2. The internet: made information exchange like this one possible and raised the level of brewing knowledge by orders of magnitude. Wouldn't be feasible without fast, cheap computers.

3. Inexpensive and fairly good pH meters. Without one a brewer is groping for the correct pH in the dark. That's not necessary any more.

Back