using 5g equipment to make 1g batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassballboy

Reaction score
I'm wanting to try out a few experimental brews, but not wanting to risk a whole 5 gallons on them. Can I use full size buckets , carboys, and yeast packets on say a 1 gallon batch?

As far as fermentation goes, it doesn't matter the size of the fermenter. You can do a 1 gallon batch in a 20 gallon fermenter. As far as aging (secondary), no head space is the rule, so invest in a gallon glass jug. As far as yeast, I've always advised to pitch half the packet. It's tough to get a right-on pitch as all the yeast packs are designed for 5 gallons. But since you're "testing" things, it'll get you into the ball park recipe wise.

-Aaron

As far as fermentation goes, it doesn't matter the size of the fermenter. You can do a 1 gallon batch in a 20 gallon fermenter.

-
Are you *sure* about this? The rule for both primary and/or secondary is to avoid oxidation and exposure. The CO2 output provides some cover and protection from oxidation but there are limits. 1 gallon in a 5 gallon not to mention 20 gallon fermenter seems to be pushing it.

Maybe you're right. 1 gallon will produce huge amounts of CO2 during fermentation so *maybe* it's okay, but it really *seems* iffy to me. But I could be wrong. If it were up to me, I'd want a second opinion.

But even if I am wrong, you bring up a point with secondary. Even if it's safe to ferment a brew in an overlarge fermenter, is it safe to leave it in an overlarge fermenter past fermentation or must one rack to secondary in this case?

I would think you'd be fine leaving it in primary. I don't think you HAVE to secondary as the co2 will still be providing a layer from o2 in primary. IF you use a secondary you want no or minimal headspace.

Back