Late Extract Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielofthedale

Reaction score
I have made a few kits so far and the recipe in the kits just said to put all the extract in at once the water got to the boil. However I have been seeing more and more posts on here that put just 1/2 of the extract in at the start and then put the last 1/2 in the last 15mins. of the boil.

I am thinking of trying this method with my next brew and wondering what the advantages of this is other than lessening the chance to have any of the extract scorch since you are not have to dissolve so much so fast.

Better color & hop utilization are also a result of holding out 1/2 of your extract until the last 15 min.

Yup. Basically you get lighter color like the recipe or kit intends. Also,when using LME,you get little or no extract twang,that cooked extract sort of flavor. I add late additions at flame out myself. The wort is still boiling hot,& since pasteurization happens about 162F,it's safe to add it then. cover & steep a couple minutes & Bob's your uncle.

Ill steep a few speciality grains when thats done ill bring the water to a quick boil shut off the heat and add the extract then. It has worked great for me

That's still adding it at the begining of the boil. That's what causes LME to darken & get that twang. Late additions combat that by cutting the boil it a second time bit.

That's still adding it at the begining of the boil. That's what causes LME to darken & get that twang. Late additions combat that by cutting the boil it a second time bit.

So i dosent matter the the extract never even sees a flame it still gaes the twang? My steeping grains water is about two and a half gallons. Nothing else added. I then bring that to a boil,shut off the heat.pour 2 gallons more room temp springwater. Then add the extract and stir then right to the fermenter and check fg and make any adjustment.Sorry I should have been more specific.

My steeping grains water is about two and a half gallons. Nothing else added. I then bring that to a boil,shut off the heat.pour 2 gallons more room temp springwater. Then add the extract and stir then right to the fermenter and check fg and make any adjustment.Sorry I should have been more specific.

This is exactly what I do, works like a champ.

If your steeping grain wort is about the OG of the beer then you don't need to change a thing. But if you are making something really hoppy and your steeping grain gravity is really far from your OG, you'll have to calculate your hop utilization as it (arguably) depends on the wort gravity. You can do this using the Tinseth equations on a spreadsheet, pretty easy once you have it set up.

Back