Need SMaSH ipa recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ticebain

Reaction score
So I wanna do a smash ipa ( sorta)
I am thinking between 12 and 15 pounds of base malt
Also thinking of cheating and putting about 8oz of carapils in there for head retention

Hops are going to be Amarillo. I have never used Amarillo but every time I am at a brewery and I can get the brewer to fess up to what gives his ipa the great aroma, it's Amarillo dry hops. Questions are this:

What type of base malt? I've never done an ag ipa. I think I can say Vienna is out, but what about Maris otter or pale malt vs pilsner malt. Just not sure

Also hop schedule? I'm going to do a 60 min boil and I want something in the 70-100 ibu range. I will dry hop for at least 7 days with at least 1 oz leaf Amarillo to really pump up the aroma. But let me know if dry hop should be more than that or longer.

Thanks

If you really want to do a smash ipa, just stick with the idea of a smash. If you want to mess around with grains or hops then look around for a recipe that focuses on amirillo for hops additions. The idea of smash it to get to know all of the flavors and aromas just that hop and grain provided (incl head retention).
For grains involving a pa of any style you should choose grains that will give you your desired color and flavors. I would recommend 2-raw and pale ale, being the two most basic and won't impart two many flavors that may distract from your hops, but if you want to get to know maris otter it bumps your color up a little and you will figure out the flavor profile of this base malt. If you want to be more to style with a darker color you could add Caramel 40, but it adds more flavors.

Hops? I would look at other recipes that have used amarillo as a SMASH or dry hop.
Good luck!

Why not start with an American Pale Ale SMaSH as a base recipe? Use 2 row and your hop of choice. From there you can decide what layers to add or whether to boost the gravity and IBU's. I did this with Munton's pale malt and Cascade hops. From there I boosted the gravity and replaced the bittering addition with Summit. I added Crystal 40 for color and to add to the flavor.

Back