First Brew Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legmaker

Reaction score
The first brew was an IPA which I kind of created myself. I used a recipe for a fuggle clone as a base, however I changed it up quite a bit with different hops and the original instructions didn't go along with everything I have read online and in books.

Added fuggles once early in the brew along with some cascade and cascade later in the brew then dry hopped with fuggle and cascade.

Hydrometer readings were way off, but it was clearly finished so we went with it. I think the hydrometer is bad.

Just want to let everyone know that this is seriously one of the best beers I have had in my life and I am actually surprised it turned out so perfect. If the rest of the brews turn out nearly this good I will be extremely happy.

A little over one week into fermentation on an Irish Red Ale. Only got about two inches of foam on the top, which is a little less than the first brew, but I think it is good. Fingers Crossed.

From what I've been finding out, you can create almost any recipe you want, so long as it's actually practical. Subbing different hops will yield a different flavor, obviously, but if you have a beer that you think would taste great with a different variety hop, then use it. The only thing you really have to take into account is IBUs, if you want the bitterness the same. Otherwise, its' all pretty interchangable, and wont really ever yield any disgusting beers.

Unless you completely eff up :mug:

just some more info

my friend is one of the all organic types, which is cool with me but just thought some of this was kind of cool.

we used reverse osmosis filtered water in our first and second brews

we also used raw cane sugar as our priming sugar and I have to say there is no caramel flavor or anything odd like that and the carbonation was perfect

Ha reading this now brings back memories. That first brew is still one of the better ones. The only one better is the first all grain I did.

Ha reading this now brings back memories. That first brew is still one of the better ones. The only one better is the first all grain I did.

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't progressing in your beer brewing. :D

I seem to have improved quite a bit from my first to last. Dang HomeBrewTalk and all you that have posted ways to improve my technique. :mug:

Welcome to wonders of home brewing.

Making beer isn't all that difficult provided you understand the rudiments, know malt and hop ratios, yeast, and sanitize. Referring to known recipes to get ideas on base malts, specialty grains, and hop varieties is always a good way to confirm you are in the right direction.

Don't let iffy recipes get you down. Take notes, ask questions, and soon you'll be sending your beer in to competitions.

I've definitely improved over time. The first was just so surprisingly good. I've brewed several a year since starting and only had one that was ruined and one that was a little off. I know what I did wrong on the one that was off, but the ruined one I'm not sure, maybe bacteria. All this talk has me ready to do my next.

I remember my first beer being awesome. But then again I don't really remember what it tasted like. I think it was more the novelty that it was something I made myself.

Back