Mash Paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikn68

Reaction score
What does everyone think is the best type of material for a mash paddle? Would you use stainless steel or make your own with wood. What wood would you use?

Erik

Stainless hands down. Lasts forever completely sanitary and easy to clean. I bought a bayou classic stainless mash paddle for $30. Shipped. Its amazing quality works great and ill never have to replace it. Been using it for 2 years and it looks like the day I bought it. Here's a link looks like its even cheaper now than when I bought it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FTUTL...t=&hvlocphy=1014221&hvtargid=pla-274290729325

Stainless hands down. Lasts forever completely sanitary and easy to clean. I bought a bayou classic stainless mash paddle for $30. Shipped. Its amazing quality works great and ill never have to replace it. Been using it for 2 years and it looks like the day I bought it. Here's a link looks like its even cheaper now than when I bought it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FTUTL...t=&hvlocphy=1014221&hvtargid=pla-274290729325

+1. Same one I use. It is perfect for mashing. I also have a smaller stir paddle but this one is ideal for mashing in.

I have a paddle that I sawed out of an oak limb that fell in my back yard. I used it for 5 years then asked for an 18" ss whisk for Christmas. I like it a lot. It breaks up dough balls way faster and easier.

Here's one of my latest projects: hardwood maple. Occassionally some very nice spalted or birdseye maple will sneak its way into your big box home improvement stores. The pictures do not do the wood justice at all -
it has a lovely two tone grain color with some mild to moderate birdseye. I finished it to 400 grit after raising the grain with a water soak three times, and then gave it three coats of premium grade butcher block oil. Not bad for $2.50 bd/ft. I made two of these for less than $12.

There are probably some advantages to stainless, but there's just something about a nice piece of well-finished wood.

boTzVJzeptgdHaKZv7L-sqN6PYUOveRZvRyanZmuOuTp5M1MwHoHJ55xcpzA18SbehMrwin8CaIc_3sSIzK9wL7rzuGTVs0Sz7Itmw7erOCaCCviG-7S6kVlhgpaartYZcoxo1vLRg

q6NeqPdwe8L603HgNu5X6pSuulGlCN5MY4nxALANDlINYfn_lQz--1eAcvPPUfByRca6YO39p0v8NQ3tT2M-3AROGblex9vVt7FfyzKUx2oDUq18iFxi8kMEOZO8av3-ytQCP5ecCg

I make no claim to be a skilled woodworker - but this project is the first one where I have been genuinely happy with the finished result.

Back