Manual Operation of a Solenoid Valve and an Electronic Ignition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
I posted this in DIY, but didn't get any answers. Help me out if you could.

Is it possible to have a switch, that I manually flip, control a solenoid valve and an ignition electrode?

I'm getting ready to purchase an Auber 2362 PID. Would it be possible to wire two switches that I manually flip that would open and close the propane solenoid valve and turn an ignition electrode "on" and "off"? I would be the one to flipping the switch on and off. It would not be automatic.

Here's what I would like to do so it makes sense.
1. Use the PID to monitor temps.
2. When the temps drop too low...
2a. Flip one switch to open the solenoid and turn on the propane (the flow rate would have been previously set at the regulator).
2b. Flip another switch to start sending power to the ignition electrode which would begin to spark.
2c. Once the propane is lit, turn off power to the ignition electrode.
2d. Once temps are reached, turn off the propane.

Here is the link to the PID:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_ id=106

Could I wire both the Solenoid valve and the ignition electrode to the proper PID poles 13 & 14 (see the instruction manual on the page linked above). The solenoid valve and ignition electrode would have separate switches, but the same power source.

The reason I'm looking into this is two-fold.
1. I don't want total automation, but I don't want everything totally manual either.
2. I don't want to mess with the pilot light option.
3. This seems like it would be a lot cheaper.

Would this work? I'm not an electrician. So help me out if you could. If this wouldn't work, what would work that would allow me to do in steps lined out above? Thanks.

I'm not an electrician either, but do work around lots of mining equipment with PLC's and 600v panels. i don't see any reason you couldn't use a switch to control the valve and electrode. flip the switch, gas comes on, flip another switch, gas is lite, flip the switch, electrode goes off. not sure what voltage your going to use, but a simple light switch for a home would work. or you could use a start/stop switch. someone with more electrical knowledge may help better then i.

One thing to think of is that your propane take (if your using propane) has a safety in it that won't allow a sudden release of propane. that's why you are told to open your tank slowly. you can hear a tank valve move it you open it too quickly. just a FYI.

keep us posted on how this turns out. I'm kind of thinking of making something similar.

OK, I've been doing a little more looking. Rather than wiring the ignition electrode into PID, I'm going to skip it. The PID would simply be used to monitor temperatures and send out an alarm when I need to do something. Nothing more.

Here's what I found:
http://www.pexsupply.com/Robertshaw-785-001-24-120-VAC-Automatic-Pilot-Relight-Kit

This seems to be the same item used in the Blichmann Tower of Power to light their burners. This takes a standard 110V source. I called the company and spoke to a guy in Tech Support. He said I could literally, wire it up to a 110V house plug and put it on a switch and it would start sparking. When I flip the switch again, it would stop.

That seems to be what I'm looking for. As for the solenoid valve, I would get a 110V solenoid valve too. That way I avoid any extra costs with AC/DC converters etc. I'd source one from Valves4Projects on Ebay. Guys in my brew club have had great experience with their stuff.

Does this sound good? Am I missing something?

I do have a question about what JDGator said.

One thing to think of is that your propane tank...has a safety in it that won't allow a sudden release of propane.

Would the safety mechanism in the propane tank screw my plans up? The propane would already be on at the regular. But the solenoid valve would keep it from flowing out. Isn't that what you guys who are working with propane are doing?

i'm not 100% sure if it would or not. the safety in the tank is designed to not allow gas to flow out fast. it has a set rate. but maybe with the solenoid it would be slower (like a burner) and still allow the tank to function normally.

I'd say go for it.

I did not see it mentioned so thought I would mention that the valve you use should be specified as compatible with propane. Also if you use thread tape to connect it you should use gas rated tape.

I did not see it mentioned so thought I would mention that the valve you use should be specified as compatible with propane. Also if you use thread tape to connect it you should use gas rated tape.

I've looked at a few options. It seems a lot of guys on HBT use the STC 2W160. Here's a link to it.

http://www.fremontindustrialsupply.com/servlet/the-517/STC-Valve-solenoid-ASCO/Detail

The other option is the Asco 8261. I just cannot find a place that sells it. This is the same solenoid Blichmann uses in their Tower of Power setup.

I also just found this one. Would this one work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-110-120...110?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d26ca1f6

Do you see any issues?

Looks like it should work and it is says it is rated for natural gas. The price looks a little low. I am guessing it is a chinese import. That is not necessarily a bad thing but I would see if you can find any reviews from people that have used it.

Asco Makes Nat/Propane SV's Red Hat Series, Biggest Difference Is Internally,
They Use Stainless Steel Due To Gas Moisture Exposure.
Alittle Costly, But Made For Application.
Safety Is Priceless

One Other Thing, Still Investigating Pros/Cons From
Overseas Electrical Componets, There Elec Ratings Are Based
On 50hz, United States Operate @ 60hz

PLC-Guy said:
There Elec Ratings Are Based On 50hz, United States Operate @ 60hz

What effect would this have? I'm not versed in electrical stuff. Thanks for the heads up on the Asco valves.

Back