Maredsous 10 (Tripel) Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveofrose

Reaction score
I'm taking a stab at cloning Maredsous 10 and would appreciate any feedback. According to Brew Like A Monk, it is a pilsner base with caramel malt. Moortgat tends to lean toward Styrian and Saaz hops, so I'm going with that spiciness. Lastly, they claim Duvel strain is used. I will go ahead and call bull**** on that. Wyeast 1388 is way too clean for the clove/banana/ ester profile in Maredsous. I'm going to go with Wyeast 3787 fermented at 70-80 F. That should put the esters in there I'm looking for. I would love to hear your opinions!

Maredsous 10 Tripel Clone
5 gallons - Partial Mash

Specialty Grains
4 oz Caramel 20 L
4 oz Caramel 60 L
Steep 150 F for 30 minutes.

12 lbs pilsner LME
1.5 lbs Clear Candi Sugar
Boil 1 hour with the following hop schedule:
1 oz Styrian Goldings for 1 hour.
1 oz Saaz for 10 minutes.
2 oz Styrian Goldings for 1 minute.

Pitch 2 liter starter of Wyeast 3787 at 70 F, but allow the temperature to go up to 80-84 F for ester production.

16 Lovibond
22 IBU
10.4% ABV

I'm taking a stab at cloning Maredsous 10 and would appreciate any feedback...
Has anyone had Maredsous or is it rare?
Did you make this? How did it come out? I think Maredsous is a bit rare, so much so a lot of people haven't tried it and it's unavailable (it appears) in my area (San Francisco CA). I would love to take a stab at this and I would love to hear about your experiences brewing this. Thank you.

Available at Total Wine in Tucson. Not really rare. Very good tripel.
If you have a Total Wine near you, check their website.

I see maredsou inmost of the "better" beer stores around here.
Not really rare, perse, but it's not likely a big seller, so most places don't order a lot of it,
It's definitely one of the best Tripels out there.
I do wonder about the OP, but that was 6 years ago, I doubt that person is still with us.

Back