Increasing bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phytotech

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member and relative new brewer. I have been making lots of wine and some wine over the last year. The beers have been mainly using LME and DME. I thought they were turning out pretty good.

However, a friend of mine was making Festa Brew beer, basically a non-concentrated brewers wort...just add yeast, and it just tasted better...more like a craft beer. That being said I bought a few, experimented some with dry hopping and the flavours were really good. That being said I wanted to try and increase the bitterness a bit, especially in the Pale Ale.

Was thinking of doing a boil on 4 litres of the wort and hopping with some nugget and cascade in addition to dry hopping with cascade. Basically I was trying to duplicate one of my favorite beers the Garrision Hopyard pale from Nova Scotia, which is at 40 IBUs. The standard Festa Pale is at 25 IBUs, so I guess my questions are.

Is this a reasonable idea?
How much hops do I need?
Do I need to increase the SG?

Thanks

The easiest answer is that you'll need to boil some hops in the wort for 60 minutes to get the bitterness that you want. The variable here is that I assume you have wort that is pre-hopped, meaning that it's already been boiled with hops for a certain level of bitterness, flavor and aroma. When you boil the hopped wort you are going to get a bit more bitterness from the compounds already in there + whatever you add from the hops.

As for how much...that depends on the AA% of the hops themselves, how much wort you boil in (the gravity affects the hop utilization, etc.).

I'm sure we can all help you out a bit, but let us know the size of the batch, the AA% of the hops (it should be on the packaging) and the target starting gravity of the beer.

The batch is 23L of prehopped wort, which is supposed to produce a beer with 25 IBUs

the nugget hops is 11-14% AA, though not super fresh. The cascade is 5-7% AA and fresh

I was thinking of boiling 4 L of the wort for 30 or 60 min and adding
60/30 min 1/2 oz nugget
5 min 1/2 oz nugget and 1/2 oz cascade
0 min 1 oz cascade

then dry hop with 1 to 2 oz cascade,

I obviously also wanted to increase the hop aroma/taste in addition to the bitterness

so would this increase the bitterness from 25-40 or am I over/under doing it?

thanks

Well I went ahead with this 4 weeks ago.

did a 30 min boil on 4l of the wort added 1L of water ,with the following hop additions

15g Nugget (13%aa) 30 min
15g Nugget (13%) 5 min
15g cascade (6%) 5 min
15g cascade (6%) flame out

Pitched with Nottingham

Primary fermentor for 10 days, racked to carboy and dry hopped with 30 g cascade for 18 days

I bottled it last night and the beer tasted exceptional, was a bit worried since I couldn't cool it very fast and probably sat warm for about 20 min, it also seemed to stop fermenting and had to strap a brew belt on for the last week.

I also boiled another batch last night using less nugget and more cascade late, this is working out well

Back