Maple Wine aka Mapfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patbastien

Reaction score
Ok Guys,

Here it is really simple and insanely delicious.
Sorry about the metric for you guys down below the Canadian border.

7kg of the darkest grade of maple syrup available (do not use grade A)
23L of reverse osmosis water
10g yeast nutrient
30g yeast energizer
10g Irish moss

Boil the above for 15 minutes to kill off any bacteria. Cool rapidly and pitch 2 packages of a neutral Ale yeast such as Nottingham or US-05.

Primary 4 weeks
Secondary 4 + weeks

The end result is a golden colored wine that hits about 12%. It has a maple aftertaste, but the first flavor is an incredible blend of sweet and dry tones.

After making my first batch - I just went all out and made a quadruple batch. I never want to live another day without a supply of this in beer collection.
It's super simple - but that's the beauty of maple syrup! It'S got all the magic it needs already.

I'd love to hear about any other people who've experimented along this vein.

Thanks brewfriends :)

How many...Liters(ugh) does that make. Sounds delicious...and like something I need to make.

What does it finish at?

sounds good, do you have any suggestions on where to buy bulk maple syrup? Its probably allot easier to find over on the east coast.. around here the only place i can think of is costco. and they only sell the A grade stuff you put on pancakes and its not cheap (like 14$ liter) soo that's a really expensive batch of booze.

Well here in Quebec, you go straight to the maple farm to buy your syrup. It's still expensive - about 80$ per batch. But the result is priceless

"sounds good, do you have any suggestions on where to buy bulk maple syrup? Its probably allot easier to find over on the east coast.. around here the only place i can think of is costco. and they only sell the A grade stuff you put on pancakes and its not cheap (like 14$ liter) soo that's a really expensive batch of booze."

Even though, as you say, it is a really expensive batch of booze. It still comes out way cheaper than any commercial wine or mead. And it tastes like divine manifestation

sounds good, do you have any suggestions on where to buy bulk maple syrup?

Canada grades their sticky goodness differently than the US, I think it would be called 'US Grade B', darker and more robust, commonly used by chefs .... http://www.maplesource.com/markets/industrial-market/maple-syrup/maple-syrup-grades.php

But apparently in 2013 there is supposed to be an international grading label for maple syrup and the syrup will all be labelled Grade A, but defined by a color: golden, amber, dark, very dark. So the dark/very dark is what you would want. No idea if the new label thing went into effect or not.

I think my area WalMart even carries 'US Grade B', pretty sure Trader Joe's might.
Loads of online sources... http://www.vermonttradewinds.com/php/grade_b_maple_syrup.php?gclid=CMPGsauT2LUCFQ_znAodKGcA6A

http://www.braggfarm.com/maple-syrup.html

http://www.maplevalleysyrup.coop/Certified-Organic-Grade-B-Maple-Syrup-p/0mvgradeb.htm

sounds like a great recipe. the in-laws harvest maple syrup in Vermont... hummm.

do you put all the nutrient and energizer at the end of the boil? no staggering? do you de-gas?

The end result is a golden colored wine that hits about 12%.

The OG was 1.073 and the FG 1.002

fyi, 1.073 --> 1.002 = ~9.4% ABV.

Well some thoughts. I'm not sure you need to boil any of the ingredients.. at least not for sanitation, Syrup itself is boiled down from usually 40 to 50 gallons of sap. And syrup is to dry for growing bacteria - like honey.
7kg=15.4lb
23L is 6 gal

Another thing, based on honey density, 15.4 lb should be about 1.3 to 1.5 gallons

This sounds interesting. I would like to try a batch next March. I've been making syrup on my property for 3 years now. Last year I made 80 litres.

I will try adjusting the recipe so that I actually use the "sweet" (partially boiled sap off my evaporator) so I don't actually have to use finished syrup. I'm guessing a slightly sweet wine would be better than totally dry? Anyone had experience with either? Should I aim to have a SG high enough that the yeast quits, leaving some sugar?

I've always wanted to use maple or birch sap, without boiling down to sap. I was thinking that I would use it in the place of water in a mead.

Straight up maple syrup wine sounds great.

I would not start with a huge OG. I would stabilize and back sweeten if you want a sweeter wine.

I've always brewed my meads dry. Too sweet and they end up cloying. I'd skip the Irish moss, but that's just me, it's a hold over from beer brewing where it is a fine and wonderful thing but honey and maple syrup don't really need it and the results are subpar. If I need to clarify I just use DE. Sorry for rambling but here in Arizona we get a lot of Canadian snow birds and someone introduced me to some maple candy, loved it. Now I'm hunting a maple wine recipe

I've been looking at this recipe for a few months now but I keep talking myself out of buying 2 gals of syrup. Now that I have a carboy open it's a different story - I just sourced some local Grade B for $90, can't wait to start it.
Agree with brewingsam, I'll skip the boiling and the Irish Moss and see what happens.

Ok Guys,

Here it is really simple and insanely delicious.
Sorry about the metric for you guys down below the Canadian border.

7kg of the darkest grade of maple syrup available (do not use grade A)
23L of reverse osmosis water
10g yeast nutrient
30g yeast energizer
10g Irish moss

Boil the above for 15 minutes to kill off any bacteria. Cool rapidly and pitch 2 packages of a neutral Ale yeast such as Nottingham or US-05.

Primary 4 weeks
Secondary 4 + weeks

The end result is a golden colored wine that hits about 12%. It has a maple aftertaste, but the first flavor is an incredible blend of sweet and dry tones.

After making my first batch - I just went all out and made a quadruple batch. I never want to live another day without a supply of this in beer collection.
It's super simple - but that's the beauty of maple syrup! It'S got all the magic it needs already.

I'd love to hear about any other people who've experimented along this vein.

Thanks brewfriends :)
Does the wine need to age? For how long? Is it a carbonated wine?

Back