Bottle bomb concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhurst111

Reaction score
I brewed BM Centennial blonde back on 3/16. Racked it onto 6lbs of strawberries on 3/23 when gravity was 1.010. Sat on the berries until 3/31. Fg at that time was 1.008. Let it sit in tertiary for another week and bottled on 4/7 using 1/4 cup of corn sugar.

This is what the bottles look like now. Hard to see in the photo, but lots of floating strawberry materials.

image-1610555701.jpg

This is what they look like after sitting in the fridge for 24 hours. There is .5 to .75 inches of sediment. Way more than I typically get in a bottle conditioned beer.

image-445288084.jpg

This what it looks like in a glass. Light carbonation after 15 days, Tastes good, lots of floating bits...

image-247842768.jpg

So my question is, will the increased sediment that I am sure is berry parts continue to ferment making bottle bombs? I'm thinking I need to take a sample bottle every week or so until I hit the carbonation level I want and then stove top pasturize.

I think the lesson learned from this batch is let fruit beers sit in tertiary longer...

Any other thought or ideas

Thanks

I doubt you will have bottle bombs on this one just a kit of junk in the bottles. Did you child crash before bottling? That might help next time to cut down on the crud. Cheers

I don't think you'll have to worry about bottle bombs either. But if you brew it again, I would let it set in tertiary for at least 2 weeks, then crash it for a week. Also, gelatin during cold crash works wonders!! Just my 2¢ based on my experience.

Thanks for the feed back. I will forgo the stove top pasteurization then.

Cold crashing makes perfect sense....i should have done that. I think the biggest problem was the waiting on this one. I was in a Centennial Blonde mindset - brew day to glass in 15 days. I got impatient and tried to rush it.

Back