Removing stock temp controller from mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eryk4381

Reaction score
So I have a stock little temp controller inside the mini fridge I did a build on awhile back HERE and I'm wondering how I can get rid of it. It takes up a little bit of room once I get my CO2 tank and two kegs in there and the fridge will stop working if I just remove it from the wires. I'm guessing that bypassing it completely and just wiring the two wires together might work.
I assume its basically a thermostat restricting voltage and I'm just taking it out of the equation but I'm not sure. I don't want to burn anything out so I thought I would ask if anyone has tried something like this.

dsc0551fm.jpg

nobody's tried this before??

I have done it with my cube fridge and made an incubator out of it.

Cut the capillary tube off and splice the two wires together and use your external temp controller.
After you cut the capillary tube that stock controller will never function again.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

So just wire the white and black together? Won't that make it run all the time or am I just completing the circuit??

So just wire the white and black together? Won't that make it run all the time or am I just completing the circuit??

The fridge will run all the time if you don't use an external temp controller after shorting the two wires together.
Without an external controller the thermal overload will trip after running for a long time.
You only have two options after removing the stock controller, digital internal or external controller.
I went with the internal option.
Cheers,
ClaudiusB

The fridge will run all the time if you don't use an external temp controller after shorting the two wires together.
Without an external controller the thermal overload will trip after running for a long time.
You only have two options after removing the stock controller, digital internal or external controller.
I went with the internal option.
Cheers,
ClaudiusB

So it's essentially just a relay and I already have bypass that relay with my own by using the eternal temp controller ??

whoa!Claudious, did you cut out the front and add the clear? Is it glass? I have a trashed fridge door i want to repair.

YES< a thermostat is normally a Bimetal relay (coil), when the temperature changes the spiral spring laminated with two metals one stretches, shrinks more than the other causing the curl to lengthen or shorten, making or breaking Points, contacts.. When you "turn the knob" you twist the spring adding or releasing tension.. Does that explain it enough??

A whole lot of the newer designed ones are electronic, totally different sensor and reaction type. AND.. further complications are frost free refrigerator "defrost timers" that are basically a clock motor that turns on a heater eliminating ice build up for a short period, then cycle on back to cooling. If they stick.. well you quit cooling. The first thing to check when a big fridge quits cooling. I am not sure that small one has one.

Back to using a external temp controller.
If you wire it together there where you removed the thermostat (making it run all the time), and break the main feed plug wires coming into the unit with a external digital unit, it will turn the fridge compressor on and off according to the sensor. I drilled a hole in the top of my freezer lid, dropped the sensor through it. I used a STC1000 off ebay, it cost me $22 and now I wish I had bought several of them. Very simple.. thou I did find conflicting documentation on the net and was confused till I asked someone else here who has been using them a while.

YES< a thermostat is normally a Bimetal relay (coil), when the temperature changes the spiral spring laminated with two metals one stretches, shrinks more than the other causing the curl to lengthen or shorten, making or breaking Points, contacts.. When you "turn the knob" you twist the spring adding or releasing tension.. Does that explain it enough??

A whole lot of the newer designed ones are electronic, totally different sensor and reaction type. AND.. further complications are frost free refrigerator "defrost timers" that are basically a clock motor that turns on a heater eliminating ice build up for a short period, then cycle on back to cooling. If they stick.. well you quit cooling. The first thing to check when a big fridge quits cooling. I am not sure that small one has one.

Back to using a external temp controller.
If you wire it together there where you removed the thermostat (making it run all the time), and break the main feed plug wires coming into the unit with a external digital unit, it will turn the fridge compressor on and off according to the sensor. I drilled a hole in the top of my freezer lid, dropped the sensor through it. I used a STC1000 off ebay, it cost me $22 and now I wish I had bought several of them. Very simple.. thou I did find conflicting documentation on the net and was confused till I asked someone else here who has been using them a while.

That's pretty much what I have installed in mine. Check out my build here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/mini-fridge-build-mods-368154/

It works very well for a kegerator/fermentation unit. I just wanted to get that dial piece out of there (as its just hanging out being in the way) but wanted to make sure I didn't burn up my unit.

Thank you for the fantastic explanation.

Back