No grains in this kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
I am still learning and got a lager kit. When it arrived and it was just DME, sugar, hops, and yeast. I read a few posts where people did not have any specialty grains to start with and the turn out was ok, maybe lacking a some body.

Here is what came:

5lbs xtra light DME
1lb cane sugar
1oz of pride of ringwood hops.
WLP800 yeast

Can anyone offer suggestions for some grains to steep for some oomph in the flavour / body dept. I will see what my lhbs has to offer as well. Just trying to experiment and learn

What kit did you order? Don't worry and just brew it,it will still make beer. Look at what is list in the ingredient list next time you order if you want steeping grains.

Certain extract recipes (i.e., some blonde ales and pilsner lagers) don't use any steeping grains.

The more important question - If you are going to brew this lager and use WLP800, do you have the ability to precisely control your temperatures? With that yeast, you'll need to pitch at and hold the temp in the lower 50's for a couple weeks then raise it about 10 degrees and keep it there 3 days for a d-rest. Afterwards, plan on cold lagering (mid 30's) for 4-8 weeks.

Also, one vial of yeast in a 5-gallon lager batch ain't gonna cut it. Lagers generally require twice the number of yeast cells as a comparable ale batch. You've got to make a fairly large starter. Check http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html for details.

You can steep some carapils for body/mouthfeel if you like.

Just brew it how you got it. YES add some more yeasties, but what's in the kit should give you a good tasting brew as long as you're able to brew it like it says!

A couple days late, but it looks like you got an all extract kit. This is normal for the type. Listen to the above about yeast count (make a starter or add more yeast), and definitely pay close attention to fermentation temperatures as lager yeast is really picky and wants it cold so that it doesnt start throwing esters everywhere.

Good luck and hope your brew comes out great.

Thanks all. This is my fourth lager and was just surprised with the lack grains. I have a couple weeks before I brew this one and was just looking for suggestions. Not sure if I will experiment or not or go as is, but as always am looking forward to brew day, bottling day, and grand opening day!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back