Mixing Harvested Yeast with Fresh Vial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarcrarc

Air Garcia
Reaction score
I just harvested WLP 530 from its 3rd generation use. This last batch was a 10.2% belgium. My question is: I want to make one more batch using WLP 530 and then move on to something else. My issue is that I have this harvested yeast and a new vial on hand of the same yeast (WLP 530) on hand.

This last batch I am hoping to make will be a 12% strong dark Belgium. My plan is to make a huge starter with the new vial and also throw in the harvested yeast to ferment this huge beer just to make sure my pitching rate is high enough. Do any of you see a problem with this---combining the two (new and harvested) into one wort?

i dont understand why you would add a fresh vial to an enourmous yeast cake. i feel that would only be a waste. i would also be concerned that the yeast cake left over from a 10% abv beer would be less than suitable for another beer, but on the other hand it would probably work.
my approach would be to ramp up the fresh vial in an appropriate sized starter (maybe slightly on the small size to promote those belgian esters) and go the safe route.

I think it's your call. You can go either way with it. If you were still planning on purchasing a new yeast for your next batch, then might as well use all you have. However, if you choose not to do that you can control which yeast you will add to your current beer (the 12%).

I personally have been using the same yeast for like almost a year now. I've done a ton of different styles with it. I just never really saw the need to buy new yeast. It's so easy to reuse man!

I personally have been using the same yeast for like almost a year now. I've done a ton of different styles with it. I just never really saw the need to buy new yeast. It's so easy to reuse man!

Thanks for your advice! I think I'll play it safe and go with the new vial.

Did I miss something?;)

Latest posts

Back