Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor saw me brewing yesterday
Neighbor: You making moonshine?
Me: Nope, making some beer.
Neighbor: Wow, sounds like some good ol' Duke's of Hazard. Don't get caught.

I hope he is really pleasant and kind to make up for the fact that he's dumb as a stump.

Took a few bottles of my Rye-PA down to a little uni reunion last weekend. One of my mates said "this tastes like Old Peculier" (famous Theakston's beer). I have to give the guy some credit for always trying beers at my suggestion, but taking a 7.5% IPA made with CaraRye and a sh*tload of Cascade, and making a direct comparison between that and a 5.6% black beer (almost a porter) made with Fuggles was a bit of a facepalm moment for me.

I can see that the cara rye gives quite a spicy, malty body and Old Peculier has quite a body too, but they're not even similar. I think that was just the only "bigger" beer he could name.

I brewed a hefe this Saturday and had one couple walk by and say I shouldn't be cooking meth on my driveway and a lady drive by slowly and take a picture with her phone. I was fully expecting the cops to show up but they never did.

Most people only know of the items needs for cooking meth from Breaking Bad...
What's especially galling there, is the the DEA agent in the show is, himself, a homebrewer.
Too bad the show has never had someone yell at him "Looks like you're cooking meth!" and have him correct the stupid.

Saw an hour long video of Sam Calagione when he was doing a presentation at Google. He made th claim that Dog Fish Head doesn't advertise.

Bull****.

He's doing interviews, took part in a reality TV show, wrote a (very hohum) book, promoted said book, was in a beer documentary movie, have a company run YouTube channel with almost a million views. Etc etc.

Wtf do you call that? I call it promotion and advertising.

Stone's Greg Koch makes the same claim. I guess unless you sponsor a nascar team you haven't advertised.

Somehow advertising is bad. Sam Adams isn't the #3 brewing company in America and the largest American owned brewery in America because their beer is so good. They advertise.

Typically when you say you don't advertise, you mean you don't buy media.
Of course there are a number of other marketing vehicles from PR to thought leadership, to grassroots, to promotion, to sponsorships, to social marketing, to retail marketing... There are not typically considered advertising in the marketing world... Advertising is defining a budget for the purpose of creating artifacts and for purchasing space or media, billboards, magazines, television, radio, blimps, ballpark signs, etc.

Many small companies do not advertise, but that does not mean they do not promote themselves in other ways. Often the cost of entry to advertise effectively requires massive investments in media, which has to be rationalized against the value/benefit. It makes sense for BMC to advertise because they are available everywhere. And large media buys are sometimes more about branding initiatives whereas other marketing activities are perhaps more tactical.

today: "do you ever make N/A beer?"
"no."
"Oh, you don't know how." (stated, not questioned)
"I can, but why would I ruin a perfectly great beer?"
"(blank look)"
"(wtf are you staring at look)"
"oh"

Why don't you try to brew a Miller lite?
I told the guy I brew crap all the time.

The project manager on a job site I'm working on heard I brewed beer. He proceeded to tell me how when he was tree planting, the natives showed him how to mix sugar and water in a 5 gallon bucket, add bread yeast, and put it in the sun for a week. Then you can scoop it right out of the bucket. In his words, "I had a couple shots and was messed right up! It had more alcohol than moonshine does!" I laughed, and didn't tell him I was laughing at him.

A co-worker asked me about my home brewing and about the ABV on some of them in which i responded back.At the time I a had a Hefe that was ready for drinking and he asked"What does that taste like compared to Bud or Miller?"How do you tell a man he has ate cube steak all his life what a NY Strip taste like?..I wanted to laugh but all i felt was pity.

A co-worker asked me about my home brewing and about the ABV on some of them in which i responded back.At the time I a had a Hefe that was ready for drinking and he asked"What does that taste like compared to Bud or Miller?"How do you tell a man who has loved cube steak all his life what a NY Strip taste like?..I wanted to laugh but all i felt was pity.

Im not trying to call you out but there are a whole lot of adjectives you could have used that he would understand. The guy was trying to engage you about your hobby, which was just good manners on his part.

The real pity was that you make no mention of offering him some so he could see for himself...

To be honest you were trying to call me out.I have and will continue to tell him about home brewing but he drinks to get drunk and has tried craft beer and does not like it.Why would i waste my beer or time when he has no real interest in drinking any of it?He is not a bad guy but the question just struck me off guard.

Trust me,telling people about my hobby(passion) is a great joy but i refuse to get on a soap box or go out of my way to change a 55 year old man.Was this thread not about funny things you have overheard?

JBOGAN said:
To be honest you were trying to call me out.I have and will continue to tell him about home brewing but he drinks to get drunk and has tried craft beer and does not like it.Why would i waste my beer or time when he has no real interest in drinking any of it?He is not a bad guy but the question just struck me off guard.

Trust me,telling people about my hobby(passion) is a great joy but i refuse to get on a soap box or go out of my way to change a 55 year old man.Was this thread not about funny things you have overheard?

I do have to agree with you. I work for a fire dept. We are all good friends. They all ask about what I'm doing currently and some people enjoy my products. I do get frustrated when I gave a couple people a simple pale ale and when I asked if they liked it, they say "Well it ain't no bud light. That's all I drink. Yours almost had TOO much flavor and was heavy." I understand people have different palates and such, but he then went on to ask if he could try the robust porter I just made. I gave him one. Guess what. He didn't like it. I don't waste my beer on people like that anymore. They can never bring me my bottles back either.

I have a choice few friends that I really share many of my beers with. Many of them just don't have a palate for anything more than BMC and that's all they really enjoy so why waste my beers and make them drink something they don't really like anyway. Some of them do go crazy for a good cider though so that's always an avenue to try if you're wanting to give them something they'll like.

A co-worker asked me about my home brewing and about the ABV on some of them in which i responded back.At the time I a had a Hefe that was ready for drinking and he asked"What does that taste like compared to Bud or Miller?"How do you tell a man he has ate cube steak all his life what a NY Strip taste like?..I wanted to laugh but all i felt was pity.

How do you tell a man he has ate cube steak all his life what a NY Strip taste like?..
Sounds like you had a good comparison right there :D

Palate is the hard liner.If you want to get drunk go buy a cheap case of swill.Secret is,I can spend just as much and buy a beer with tons of flavor and double the abv and get just as **** faced but I do not have to.BMC is the equivalent of believing everything you hear or see and no one or thing to tell you different.It is not my job or anyones job to turn someone on to good beer it is a personal journey.

Palate is the hard liner.If you want to get drunk go buy a cheap case of swill.Secret is,I can spend just as much and buy a beer with tons of flavor and double the abv and get just as **** faced but I do not have to.BMC is the equivalent of believing everything you hear or see and no one or thing to tell you different.It is not my job or anyones job to turn someone on to good beer it is a personal journey.

Exactly. I stumbled into it through total ignorance. They can do the same. I went out somewhere I hadn't been before and ordered a Coors Light.
"We don't have Coors Light."
"Ok. Just bring me something like a Coors Light."
They brought me a Mirror Pond. It was pretty good.
Next time I was out at my own place I asked if they had Mirror Pond. They didn't. "So, bring me something like a Mirror Pond."
They gave me a Mac & Jack's African Amber.

It went on like that for a while until I started to learn about real beer. :D

Exactly. I stumbled into it through total ignorance. They can do the same. I went out somewhere I hadn't been before and ordered a Coors Light.
Next time I was out at my own place I asked if they had Mirror Pond. They didn't. "So, bring me something like a Mirror Pond."

Everybody starts at BMC. Everybody can be lead away from BMC. If you think you can't show BMC drinkers different beer they will enjoy you are not even trying. There are many, many beers out there. American lagers are made by a good handful of craft breweries. Can't people at least show BMC drinkers those? I agree with the drinking to get drunk. On my second Undercover (9.7&) and a 750 ml of biere de garde (7%) and feeling quite nice. I would have to have 6-8 of a BMC product to feel half as nice haha. How is that a better deal? Hell if I drank my piss tonight I would get a better buzz than having a couple Buds.

Also sorry only 1/8th of my post was in response to yours. :)

JBOGAN said:

My home "town" is a city of almost 200,000 people. Despite being only 60 or so miles away from the Stone Brewery, it is damned hard to find a place that sells bombers. Usually, the most exotic brews at most liquor stores is like Sam or Newcastle (maybe Fat Tire).

Anyhow, a tiny little store at the edge of the city has a decent selection. I picked up a Double Bastard and a couple other brews one day and the lady who rang me up was astonished that I would pay $7 for a bottle of beer.

I wanted to tell her that while it was expensive, it is tasty and the price isn't really that much different than buying a sixer of BMC.

ladodger34 said:
My home "town" is a city of almost 200,000 people. Despite being only 60 or so miles away from the Stone Brewery, it is damned hard to find a place that sells bombers. Usually, the most exotic brews at most liquor stores is like Sam or Newcastle (maybe Fat Tire).

Anyhow, a tiny little store at the edge of the city has a decent selection. I picked up a Double Bastard and a couple other brews one day and the lady who rang me up was astonished that I would pay $7 for a bottle of beer.

I wanted to tell her that while it was expensive, it is tasty and the price isn't really that much different than buying a sixer of BMC.

Size doesn't matter (no "well actually" please). I live in a town of 70,000 and we have the greatest beer store, Johns Grocery! The owner loves beer, he has about 700 different kinds including 125 "belgium's". Great turn over and always bringing in new stuff...if you miss a day you miss alot!

I live in a smallish town (~70k) dominated by an alcohol-free religion and there are at still least 3 places to buy good craft beer in the bottle and one good local brewery kept in most restaurants.

Everybody starts at BMC. Everybody can be lead away from BMC. If you think you can't show BMC drinkers different beer they will enjoy you are not even trying. There are many, many beers out there. American lagers are made by a good handful of craft breweries. Can't people at least show BMC drinkers those? I agree with the drinking to get drunk. On my second Undercover (9.7&) and a 750 ml of biere de garde (7%) and feeling quite nice. I would have to have 6-8 of a BMC product to feel half as nice haha. How is that a better deal? Hell if I drank my piss tonight I would get a better buzz than having a couple Buds.

I started with Sam Adams Oktoberfest :ban:

That's pretty funny Ladodger. I'm 200 miles north if you and I can get most of Stone's bombers at the supermarket. If I want anything more 'exotic', we have a gas station that can get anything I want. If he doesn't carry it, he can order it.

My wife was NOT happy that I spent $15 there on Brux though!

Was getting my CO2 tank refilled and the person behind the counter asked what kind of beers I brewed. I said all kinds, from BMC-like to IPAs and stouts. She said they liked Busch light, and didn't really care for lagers. I said nothing. Now this is Pennsylvania, and often the term Lager is synonymous with Yuengling. Ask for a lager, and you will get a Yuengling.

Many folks tend to bash the BMC drinkers and say that all BMC tastes the same. They may be in the same beer style family, but they do vary quite a bit in taste. Most BMC drinkers have their favorites and can readily distinguish between the macro lagers out there.

Size doesn't matter (no "well actually" please). I live in a town of 70,000 and we have the greatest beer store, Johns Grocery! The owner loves beer, he has about 700 different kinds including 125 "belgium's". Great turn over and always bringing in new stuff...if you miss a day you miss alot!

He has 125 Belgium people living there or 125 BelgiaN beers?

That's pretty funny Ladodger. I'm 200 miles north if you and I can get most of Stone's bombers at the supermarket. If I want anything more 'exotic', we have a gas station that can get anything I want. If he doesn't carry it, he can order it.

My wife was NOT happy that I spent $15 there on Brux though!

To put it nicely, my hometown is a racially diverse and very middle class place. A few years back, latinos became the ethnic majority in the city. Nothing wrong with that, but the blue collar folks aren't drinking craft brew (can't blame them either). There is also a fairly large African-American population in the city. It just isn't a craft brew town, though we did have a great brew pub called PH Woods that made fantastic beer but it closed a couple of years ago. Surprisingly, it didn't close because of lack of interest. It was owned by Don Callendar (Marie Callendar's fame) and when he passed, the family got into a pissing contest and they decided to close it. That place was probably as responsible for my beer journey as any other.

I can think of two grocery stores that probably carry Stone. Off the top of my head, there are only like 3 liquor stores that carry bombers, though. It just isn't that kind of city, but it's still "home" even though we moved to a different city about a year ago.

That said, when I still lived there, I could go to the next city over (I lived in Moreno Valley for the SoCal folks) and get some amazing craft brews. My buddy had an apartment close to UC Riverside for years and this little hole in the wall liquor store had/has one of the better craft brew selections I've ever seen. Now I just visit BevMo around the corner from me (one complaint about BevMo, they carry the same thing all the damn time.. it's hard to get a special release!)

Many folks tend to bash the BMC drinkers and say that all BMC tastes the same. They may be in the same beer style family, but they do vary quite a bit in taste. Most BMC drinkers have their favorites and can readily distinguish between the macro lagers out there.

Disagree, I've done multiple blind taste tastes with BMC drinkers around here, all of them failed miserably(Myself included when I did one, except I did pick out PBR...)

StainlessBrewing said:
I gave a Two Hearted ale to an aquaintance and was told he liked it...."tasted like a Guiness"....I'm so glad I didn't give him a Hopslam.

My girlfriend, who actually loves beer, says anything 'dark' tastes like Guinness. The sad thing is she actually has a taste for craft beer, just hates anything 'dark'.

Disagree, I've done multiple blind taste tastes with BMC drinkers around here, all of them failed miserably(Myself included when I did one, except I did pick out PBR...)

I agree. I did work in restaurants and bars for years repairing equipment. After awhile I got to know the managers and owners pretty well. I have been told numerous times that if they ran out of Budweiser they would just put Miller on that tap, or vice versa. Nobody ever noticed.

Not everybody starts at BMC. I hadn't had a BMC in my life (maybe some sips when I was ~5...) when I started drinking good beer. I started with mixed drinks and liquor...

My beer "tasting" started with Guinness, Bass, and Newcastle. British beers are probably still among my favorites.

Back