Need help with Apricot Wheat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clanchief

Reaction score
So I'm hoping to brew up an apricot wheat. Here is the grain and hop bill on it:

4# Wheat malt
3# 2-row
1# Vienna
4 oz. Crystal 40
8 oz. Rice hulls
1 oz. Saaz - 60 minute
.5 oz. Saaz - 30 minute
Wyeast 1010

75 min mash at 150

Now, here's the thing. I'm looking to give this a nice fruity apricot flavor, and I'm not sure what the best way to get that in is going to be. Should I add apricots to the mash? I did that with my pumpkin ale and it was pretty good, but this isn't the same beast in terms of what we're looking at. Just add some in the boil? Or put them in a secondary?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The last apricot wheat we did was a while ago but turned out great. We would add I think 3 - 4 lbs of apricot
puree to secondary. It was ok but still needed more apricot so we added a bottle of extract at bottling and turned out great. Not a
fan of extract but the apricot doesn't seem to taste "fake".

Did you puree the apricots yourself, or buy it like that? And for the extract, did you just get the little bottle like they tend to have at the LHBS?

Brewed up an apricot wheat last year and i ended up grabbing 5 or so cans of "apricots in light syrup" washed the syrup away and threw them in a pot with about a cup of water. as they were already pretty soft i started to immersion blend them (long blender with a small head for pureeing) heated to around 170 and held for 10 minutes, after this mixture cooled i threw it in secondary and racked over it for about 2 weeks. The pectin from the fruit will make this beer hazy but it took on that orangy aprioct color which made the beer even look like an apricot! lol i also added about 2-3oz of that bottled apricot extract when kegging. I fould that the fruit gave GREAT flavor and a touch of sweetness while it was missing A LOT of aroma. the extract took care of this 10 fold and as stated its one thats not to "fake" tasting

Good luck! One of my favorite brews to date.
Something about fruit and beer (DURING FERMENTATION, not on my glass) just makes me all fuzzy during the summer months
My next batch is going to a porter aged on raspberries and coconut for a couple months and aged till next winter!!

I've done it with 2 cans (6 lb total) of the Oregon puree per 5 gallons. Certainly not overpowering but enough for me. I've always been wary of extracts, interesting to hear that the apricot doesn't seem to have the fake taste.

Back