Mangrove Jacks dutch lager kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TugsyNZ

Reaction score
I don't normally take hydrometer readings when doing extract kit beers. Seems to waste good beer. So I bought a refractomer and took my first readings with the Mangtove Jack's dutch lager kit. Keep in mind on the back of the can the ABV was said to produce 4.5%.

Added 1kg Dextrose
10g Californian Lager Yeast

Temp controlled at 18°C then 4 days in up to 20°C.

SG Was 1.041
FG is 1.020, hasn't dropped in 3 days. I was expecting an FG of around 1.010

So my ABV that makes it around 2.75%

Any ideas as to why its so low? or why the FG hasn't gotten down to what is expected?

Cheers

I don't normally take hydrometer readings when doing extract kit beers. Seems to waste good beer. So I bought a refractomer and took my first readings with the Mangtove Jack's dutch lager kit. Keep in mind on the back of the can the ABV was said to produce 4.5%.

Added 1kg Dextrose
10g Californian Lager Yeast

Temp controlled at 18°C then 4 days in up to 20°C.

SG Was 1.041
FG is 1.020, hasn't dropped in 3 days. I was expecting an FG of around 1.010

So my ABV that makes it around 2.75%

Any ideas as to why its so low? or why the FG hasn't gotten down to what is expected?

Cheers

If you are measuring FG with a refractometer you need to correct for the presence of alcohol. Once alcohol is present, the refractometer can't be used to directly measure the FG.

I use a refractometer up until the FG, then I use a hydrometer.

There are several websites which will give you the correction factor. You need to know the starting gravity (which you do). Use a Google search for refractometer correction and you should find several.

HTH

Latest posts

Back