Mangrove Jack M42

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legume

Reaction score
I reciently tried the dry yeast M.J. M42 "new world strong ale" in an APA.
There are reports that this is a similar strain to WLP007 (probably my favorite yeast, but its cultured on media containing gluten), so i gave it a spin.
M42 performed very well, the beer is exelent.
I am really happy to have found a dry (gluten free) yeast that i like so well.
I used this in an amber ale that will be finishing up soon, and plan to use the resulting slurry in a porter next time I brew.

Just thought i would leave this here (instead of the yeast forum) as I am always excited to find a quality GF yeast.

Haha, I just googled "m42 Jack homebrewtalk". How big are the chances that somebody posted something about it today?

How is the flocculation? I am basically looking for a yeast that floccs and attenuates well and won't mind fermentation at room temperature. You think it might match?

Miraculix,

That is good timing, i am glad i posted.

The flocculation is good but not as strong as 007, still much higher flocc than US-05 (no comparison really).
This yeast will throw some englishy esters that really accentuate malt flavors, i love these esters and feel that they can add another layer of complexity to a GF brew.
I tried to ferment this batch (and all previous 007 beers) at 67 or 68 (beer temp, not air temp), but i do not have precise temp control. It should do well at cool room temp, but those esters might get a little out of hand in a warm room.

Interesting data. I've seen the Mangrove Jack's stuff all over the place recently, but I haven't had a reason to try it over US-05. If you say the flocculation is better, maybe I'll give it a try.

did an 11% beer with it. holy hell is this **** hot. its very young, and i know it'll cool down but this is the hottest ethanol beer i've ever made. carbed at 11% fully in less than 3 weeks though. malty taste and extreme flocculator

Did bottle three beers yesterday brewed with 42. All finished quickly, sedimented well and have slight English notes to it. Attenuation around 80%, so far, I like it very much!

I tried M44 in my last batch and it fermented very slowly, took almost 3 weeks to finish. Bottle carbonating also took long and didn't complete in some of the bottles. However, I tried it again in my current batch and it is fermenting very quickly, even with a higher starting gravity. So I think I either had an old packet the first time around, or the whirlfloc negatively impacted the yeast (I left out whirlfloc this time around).

did an 11% beer with it. holy hell is this poopy hot. its very young, and i know it'll cool down but this is the hottest ethanol beer i've ever made. carbed at 11% fully in less than 3 weeks though. malty taste and extreme flocculator
was this 5 gallon batch with 1 or 2 packs?

Gonna try M42 on my next brew thanks to this thread. I've heard good things elsewhere as well.

M36 has been great in hoppy brews and I'm fermenting M44 in an Amber right now...it is slow. Also made a delicious Wit over the summer with M20.

It's worth pointing out that MJ seems to mostly repack other dry yeasts, the internet seems to think that M42 could well be repacked Nottingham.

Worth thinking about it in those terms, in any case.

Northern Brewer, I have wondered about this also.

My gut feeling is that they are not the same yeast, but I am not at all confident of this.

I have had good results with M42 fermented in the high 60s up to 70 F, many people report Nottingham throwing off flavors at those temperatures (but i have never done a side by side).

I have only ever used Nottingham at cooler temperatures, so of course it performed diffrently in my hands.

It would be intresting to do a propper split batch side by side.

Northern Brewer, I have wondered about this also.

My gut feeling is that they are not the same yeast, but I am not at all confident of this.

I have had good results with M42 fermented in the high 60s up to 70 F, many people report Nottingham throwing off flavors at those temperatures (but i have never done a side by side).

I have only ever used Nottingham at cooler temperatures, so of course it performed diffrently in my hands.

It would be intresting to do a propper split batch side by side.
I would 2nd that, but also without side by side comparison. I thought that m42 sticks better to the bottle than notty, but this might have been because of multiple factors, so just a guess.

On the other hand, I've seen people on the internet swear that there are differences between a MJ strain and another company's when I know for a fact that they're the same, repacked. So if you're hunting for a little bit of flocc difference or whatever, then that could just be the effect of beer variation or the effect of packing in a different factory.

Did we ever get a conclusion on this?
Is M42 really just repacked Nottingham?

I haven't done a split batch for side by side comparison and a load of different factors can be the reason but anytime (5 to 10 times) I have used M42 the final gravity never went below 1.010 but anytime with Nottingham (about 5 times) it always ended below 1.010.
M42 also doesn't seem to give off that Nottingham twang when brewed in my 18oC basement without temperature control.

🧐

Did a porter with m42 and it attenuated a bit more than I wanted, other than that it was a really good yeast, no notty banana funk even though fermented at 19c or about 67F, just some subtle red apple and pear esters going.
I will try it in a 1.048 northern brown where I actually want AA in the high 70’s and think it will perform better in those kind of ales, for my porter I,ll redo it with s-04 and hopefully get low to mid 70’s AA.
Is it possible that MJ m42 comes from the same parent strain as Nottingham at Lallemand but is cultivated a little different to their specs, and therefore is a slightly different variety of notty rather than a repackage?

Is it possible that MJ m42 comes from the same parent strain as Nottingham at Lallemand but is cultivated a little different to their specs, and therefore is a slightly different variety of notty rather than a repackage?

As I've noted elsewhere, it could be that their close relationship with Munton means they're using the Munton isolate of it. But I'd also note that producers get quite amused when homebrewers are convinced there's a difference between yeasts that are exactly the same, but in different packets...

Did we ever get a conclusion on this?
Is M42 really just repacked Nottingham?

I'm like 95% sure that yes these are the same. I just read something like yesterday from a source that knows who discussed with Mangrove Jack who confirmed it's Notty. But... as far as attenuation and fermentation and flavor characteristics, as always, YMMV.

Did bottle three beers yesterday brewed with 42. All finished quickly, sedimented well and have slight English notes to it. Attenuation around 80%, so far, I like it very much!

Hey @Miraculix , do you still like this M42 strain? I'm considering it for a stout I'm brewing tomorrow. I'd prefer 74-76% attenuation, and I'm wondering if M42 can be coaxed to ferment below 80%. I'm planning for higher mash temp and pH (around 154F and 5.5).

Hey @Miraculix , do you still like this M42 strain? I'm considering it for a stout I'm brewing tomorrow. I'd prefer 74-76% attenuation, and I'm wondering if M42 can be coaxed to ferment below 80%. I'm planning for higher mash temp and pH (around 154F and 5.5).
Haven't used it for ages but I think it's actually Nottingham repacked. I use Nottingham a lot, so yes,I like it! You would need to mash really high to lower attenuation, something like 70c or higher.

Back