Corny keg out post bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therackman

Reaction score
Ordered 4 used kegs from beverage elements a few months back. Just getting around to testing them to see if they hold pressure after cleaning/sanitizing and changing o-rings. Sprayed Star-san over the lid and posts to test for leaks. I noticed these bubbles forming on top of the out post. Does this mean there is a leak? If yes, does that mean I need to replace the poppet, post?

Thanks for helping.

KEG post bubbles 2.jpg

Yes, you have a leak. I would first put some lube on the oring on the poppet. If that doesn't work, you may have to replace the poppet.

Yes, you have a leak. I would first put some lube on the oring on the poppet. If that doesn't work, you may have to replace the poppet.

+1

And if you do decide to just replace the poppet, get "universal poppets". Way better than trying to figure out which size you need. They work great. We use them to recondition kegs at the LHBS I work at. I'd post a link to our site but I'd get in trouble (dumb). Never had an issue. I also use them on all my kegs at home.

Yes there is a leak, take the posts off and clean inside where the poppet seats, also clean the poppets sealing rubber ring. Most of the time it's just old dried crud. Put some lube on it and 99% of the time it will seal. If you take the poppet out and it has an obvious tear in the rubber, replace it.

You could try tightening down the post.

You could also just throw a tap on there and forget about it (poppets are expensive).

Expensive? If you can swing a kegging system, let alone the kegs, I'd hope someone would be able to spring a couple bucks for a poppet or two. The ball lock connector would be a quick fix at best. If/when the OP wants to move a keg, it may not just be air coming out of the bad poppet.

Another shout out for the universal poppets. There are so many varieties, it's so much easier just to buy them.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try lubing the poppet or changing out for another and report back.

Back