First Time Lager Smells Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komomos

Reaction score
I have ever brewed 5 batches. All of them had this soury smell.

Then I thought that is related to fermenting "ales". Now I go with a Saflager S-23. Now at 1.027 it has appeared.

I'm fermenting pretty low to lower contamination risks (43F)

All of the yeast has massed at the top. Isn't that strange? I took a spoon from yeast. It smells very heavy sour. Is a yeast smells?

I hate that smell. I would like odour-free beers like commercial beers.

PS: Beer tastes OK. All of them were OK but smell!

Hate to be that "guy", but we need to hear more about your process and recipe etc. Beers that are clean and proper sanitation should not smell sour.

John

Did the finished beer smell bad to you, or just the yeast? Yeast has a smell that many people find objectionable. If the finished beer tastes/smells good, you're fine.

that's too low. not only do you have stressed yeast, you have an incomplete fermentation at 1.027. bring the temp up to 52 for a few days, then up to 62 for 3 days. look up a term called "diacetyl rest".

Not necessarily, lumpher, we don't know how long the beer has been fermenting... if there is yeast on the surface as he indicates, it is probably still working. I have fermented S-23 in the low 40s many times (as low as 35 with active ferment), and with reasonable aging there is no need for a warm diacetyl rest.

Back