Stalled fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salb29

Reaction score
I brewed a milk chocolate stout from northern brewer on 4-13-13, everything seemed to be going as planned and this morning I didn't see any real activity I opened it up and still see a thick head of krausen on top, I guess let me back track I used wyeast smack pack 1332 northwest ale yeast, I also made a 16oz/.5 cup dme starter, I let that finish decanted, added fresh wort and did this three times so I could have a great starter for fermentation.i have been fermenting it at temps between 65--68 degrees as the package says 65--75 for optimum temp...now am I just being a newbie and being to hasty with this or is this something I need to worry about?? Thanks for all the help

Relax,it's only been eleven days. It's likely still finishing up with that head of krausen. Give it till the two week mark,then check it with a hydrometer to see if it's at FG or close to it.

unionrdr said:
Relax,it's only been eleven days. It's likely still finishing up with that head of krausen. Give it till the two week mark,then check it with a jydrometer to see if it's at FG or close to it.

Okay I will relax but to early to have a home brew lol

unionrdr said:
Word man. Finally got the coffee done & had a cup. Good ol' redneck rocket fuel!..

Yeah I'm still a newb lol I just saw some bubbles come thru the airlock....never had one go for so long but then again I did use a big yeast starter for it put new wort In yeast starter like three times

A stepped starter would give a healthy amount of yeast. My Moari IPA finally slowed down from Sunday's pitch this morning. A couple bubbles per minute @ 65F. The US-05 yeast is def a trooper even at lower temps. Anyway,it seems to be slowly fermenting it's way down to FG. Patience young jedi...

Back