Can I bottle at 1.012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justo05

Reaction score
Hay guys I'm new here just wondering ive put a coopers lager down 8days ago checks it yesterday it was reading 1.012 then checkt it today same reading just wondering if it reads 1.012 again tomorrow is it safe to bottle thanks hope that makes sence.

justo05 said:
Hay guys I'm new here just wondering ive put a coopers lager down 8days ago checks it yesterday it was reading 1.012 then checkt it today same reading just wondering if it reads 1.012 again tomorrow is it safe to bottle thanks hope that makes sence.

Dose it have to get to 1.008 as thay say

The idea is that if it's stabalized then it is finished and 1.012 is the final gravity that it's going to reach and it won't reach 1.008. At least that's the theory.

Well,the proper way to check it is to take a hydrometer reading one day,then wait till the 2nd or third day past & check it again. If the numbers match,it's at FG. Giving it 3-7 days after that to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty will give better beer & less trub in the bottles.

That's the fastest lager I've ever heard of... Usually you've got weeks of fermentation at low and controlled temperatures. Patience is a virtue with brewing, I never bottle any sooner than 2 weeks even if it reaches the FG 8 or 9 days in. It's gonna be in bottles for at least another two weeks, what difference is 4 or 5 days? Just my 2 cents.

That's the fastest lager I've ever heard of... Usually you've got weeks of fermentation at low and controlled temperatures. Patience is a virtue with brewing, I never bottle any sooner than 2 weeks even if it reaches the FG 8 or 9 days in. It's gonna be in bottles for at least another two weeks, what difference is 4 or 5 days? Just my 2 cents.

I regularly bottle ales and lagers after a week of primary and a day or so of cold crashing. The difference? I can tell the difference between week 1 of drinking a nice hoppy beer and week 2. Beer is best fresh, why age it needlessly?

I regularly bottle ales and lagers after a week of primary and a day or so of cold crashing. The difference? I can tell the difference between week 1 of drinking a nice hoppy beer and week 2. Beer is best fresh, why age it needlessly?

Because if you haven't let it finish, you have bottle bombs, and it doesn't sound like the poster has enough experience to know if it's done fermenting, else this thread wouldn't exist. I'm not trying to be argumentative, that's just how I've read and been taught to brew.

Thank you union for the possible explanation on an 8 day lager.

Sorry but like I said I'm new to this stuff ha ha it was brewing at 25 like isaid I'm new now I now leave it longer and lower temps get better beer thanks

smizak said:

That's what I think but I am new to brewing

Back