Oniony hop flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drainbamage

Keep HBT weird.
Reaction score
Occasionally I'll try a beer and the hop flavor comes off (as best as I can describe it) as "oniony". What causes this? Although I hear a lot of people associate it with Summit hops, I get it a lot from Dale's Pale Ale and SN Torpedo, neither of which uses Summit that I know of.

Are there certain varieties of hops that are known for this? Is it a matter of using traditional bittering hops for flavor additions (or vice versa)? I'm just curious, as I'm not especially fond of that character and would like to avoid it.

Galena for sure and I got a distinct oniony/cumin funk in an all-Citra brew I did a while back, but that faded. Oskar Blues' Gubna is chock full of that flavor, FWIW.

I usually get it from Simcoe (Weyerbacher Double Simcoe), but it seems to be a personal taste thing. Some people taste it and others don't, or at least don't mind it as much.

Galena for sure and I got a distinct oniony/cumin funk in an all-Citra brew I did a while back, but that faded. Oskar Blues' Gubna is chock full of that flavor, FWIW.

See, that's the weird thing. I tried Gubna for the first time on Wednesday at an Oskar Blues tasting (I'd already had Dale's before). Gubna is supposed to be all-Summit, but I still got more of that flavor from Dale's. Maybe I'm mis-attributing piney resin notes or something.

And I could be mis-remembering too. Maybe I'm thinking of G'Knight?

Back