What is this gunk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usaftrevor87

Reaction score
So I recently inherited some of my grandfathers brewing equipment. A lot of odds and ends, but got 10 really nice 1 gallon wine bottles. Most of them are marked 1978; and yes thats how long they've been sitting around haha
I'm wondering about 2 things.
1. Should I take an extra degreasing/cleaning step before sanitizing? If so what solvents would be good to use.

2. Hopefully the picture below works, but a couple bottles have this brown gunky build up in spots. I really have no idea how to clean it. I was thinking maybe Dawn dish soap and hot water, then get a long handled stiff brush (like they use in Chemistry) to clean them out? What if it doesn't come off, should I just discard those bottles.

Any help for a newbie would be appreciated! :ban:

image-1.jpg

image.jpg

I was in the same boat a month ago with some demijohns i went Through theses steps

Rinse with hot water and scrub with a bottle brush ( you can get them from home brew shops )
For more stubborn stains soaking in boiling water should shift it.
for the really tough stuff I was using diluted Sodium hydroxide ( wear gloves and eye protection this stuff I quite unpleasant )
And give everything a good rinse with water after.
Sterilise with water and Home brew Steriliser just before use to kill the last of the bugs off .

Hope this helps

Be careful with adding boiling water to glass. I would suggest to soak them in PBW, or Oxiclean free. Soak for a day and rinse really well afterwards. Should do it. Good luck

kh54s10 said:
Hot water and Oxyclean for an overnight soak and it should just rinse out. (The perfume free kind)

Yep, Oxyclean "free" should do the trick. Walmart has been the most reliable place I have found it at. Way cheaper than PBW.

Back