Muslin Mesh Hop Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jageraholic

Reaction score
So I forgot to order some hop sacks with my ingredients and the closest homebrew store is over an hour away. Is there something I can find at a grocery store that I can use for my hops?

So I forgot to order some hop sacks with my ingredients and the closest homebrew store is over an hour away. Is there something I can find at a grocery store that I can use for my hops?

Paint strainer bags at Ace or Lowe's (or any hardware store). The small gallon size ones are perfect for an ounce of hops. They come in a package of two, if you have more than one addition.

Or you can build a "hops spider" that is reusable and you can add hops additions right to that.

Paint strainer bags at Ace or Lowe's (or any hardware store). The small gallon size ones are perfect for an ounce of hops. They come in a package of two, if you have more than one addition.

Or you can build a "hops spider" that is reusable and you can add hops additions right to that.

What's a hops spider? is that like a metal filter that floats around in the pot as it boils?

What's a hops spider? is that like a metal filter that floats around in the pot as it boils?

There are lots of photos and instructions in our forum for them. They should be easy to find in the DIY area of the forum. It's basically just a paint strainer bag with some cPvc (or stainless) to hold it above the kettle.

Back