What would you say about my water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hi all, as a new brewer (this year), I'm learning something new every day in hopes to improve my brewing. I known very little about additives to alter the composition of water and mostly thought that was for the advanced brewer or for someone whose tap water wasn't good for brewing.

I was under the assumption that using bottled spring water (Poland Spring) would be the answer. But of course after doing a little research, I'm learning it's a little on the soft side and wouldn't be as good for a stout (which I just brewed) because of it's lack in minerals :(

Now I'm thinking of maybe using my tap water since I think it's reasonably good and just running it though my Brita filter to remove the Chlorine. Not sure if the Brita would remove anything that I would want though.

Here's a pic of my local tap water report, anyone care to let me know what they think of it? Wondering if it's ok for a particular style of beer but not another.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WaterChart.jpg

Im not to knowedgeable in water chemistry and you might have better luck posting in the Brewing Science forum but...

To me your water looks pretty soft. Dont take my word for it...

Do you brew all-grain or extract beers?
Water chemistry is more relevant with all-grain brewing to achieve a proper mash PH. Which effects efficiency and color. However, extracts have already been mashed, so color and sugars have already been set for the most part.

I use bottled water for extract brewing.

Do you do all-grain?

Most times, if you have dark malts in your partial mash, it supplies the color your after along with lowers the mash PH needed for good efficiency. As in releasing the starch from the grain.

Now there are some studies that suggest flavor is effected by difference water elements. Not sure how far you want to take it, but I use the advanced water calculator to gauge my predicted mash PH. Check out www.brewersfriend.com.

Back