Pellicle or Putrescence....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarnoBrewer

Reaction score
I'm no brewer of sours or funky beers, at least not intentionally. However, an ESB I brewed ended up being abandoned in the fermenter for way too long. The liquid in the blowoff container evaporated and I wrote off the beer. When I popped the top today to see the damage, here's what I saw:

thumb2_img_20130615_113529_000-60254.jpg

thumb2_img_20130615_113605_290-60253.jpg

Any thoughts on whether this is just nastiness or maybe is something interesting?

Thanks!

I was afraid that was the next step... It tastes not so good. It smells worse than it tastes. I'm searching for descriptors here... Maybe a hint of vinegar, which would be bad... However, the taste isn't awful, but it leaves a lingering non-hop bitterness.

It's been in the fermenter for about 2 months now. I had racked off a firkin full for a festival, then got too busy to get back to it. Maybe I'll just let it sit for a while and see what happens.

I was afraid that was the next step... It tastes not so good. It smells worse than it tastes. I'm searching for descriptors here... Maybe a hint of vinegar, which would be bad... However, the taste isn't awful, but it leaves a lingering non-hop bitterness.

It's been in the fermenter for about 2 months now. I had racked off a firkin full for a festival, then got too busy to get back to it. Maybe I'll just let it sit for a while and see what happens.

I'm not going to say it can't get better, but it probably won't.

I'd dump and move on with your next beer if you need the equipment. Might want to give that bucket a good bleaching first.

That was my thought as well, but having a second opinion makes me feel a little less terrible for dumping 15g of beer-ish liquid. I've got two empty fermenters, so maybe I'll let it sit until I need this one. At the very least, it might make for some good photos... Thanks!

That was my thought as well, but having a second opinion makes me feel a little less terrible for dumping 15g of beer-ish liquid. I've got two empty fermenters, so maybe I'll let it sit until I need this one. At the very least, it might make for some good photos... Thanks!

"Beerish Liquid" mad me laugh.

Latest posts

Back