Yeast for a big beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfly

Reaction score
Brewing a Bourbon County clone found here, alcohol pushes 13% and sweeter finish. Recommendation for a yest to use?

what does the recipe recommend?

most yeasts will get you to 13% *if* you treat them right. big starter, pure O2, controlled temps, etc.

alternately, start with a yeast that will give you the right flavor profile, and time the addition of a high-gravity yeast (like wlp099) at high kreusen just as the first yeast is starting to lose steam.

wlp1 will get up to 14% which is what I would use. If it stalls then you can try some wlp99 but sometimes that stuff goes crazy and it's not a very good flocculator.

Is there sugar additions for that beer? If so you could try throwing it in a few days into fermentation in order to not stress the yeast out too much.

Huge starter is for sure important.

daksin said:
Pacman is Rogue's proprietary strain, I'm pretty sure that they don't let other breweries use it.

Seeing as how Wyeast was actually selling Rogue's pacman yeast (presumably with Rogue's permission), that doesn't seem realistic to stop breweries from using it. And even if they claimed some sort of intellectual property on their yeast, how could that be actually enforced?

daksin said:
Pacman is Rogue's proprietary strain, I'm pretty sure that they don't let other breweries use it.

Hmmmm. Yeah I just checked their site and its not listed. Thought I saw it there but I guess not. Don't know where I heard that. Maybe I just made it up! :)

Probably a good number of yeasts will work. I used Bells yeast in my RIS that got to 12% and actually finished pretty dry.

You also could make a smaller beer like a pale ale or something below 1.070 and then just pitch your big beer on top of the cake.

You also could make a smaller beer like a pale ale or something below 1.070 and then just pitch your big beer on top of the cake.

Yeah. You're going to have to make such a big starter anyway. Might as well make a good 1.045-1.050 beer first, rack off the beer to bottle and then toss the big wort right on top of the cake.

I like the sound of that idea, any idea how to calculate the yeast count on that? Or doesn't it matter because it will be more than enough? White Labs recommends their Irish Ale strain.

Well mr malty has a calculation for slurry but I usually assume (as I believe others do) that there's enough in there so u dont have to worry

I like the sound of that idea, any idea how to calculate the yeast count on that? Or doesn't it matter because it will be more than enough? White Labs recommends their Irish Ale strain.
Sure - just run your batch through yeastcalc.com as if it were a 5-gallon starter. If it says you end up with 1,000 B cells and you only need 500B, then you can discard about half the resulting yeast.

Back