Honey add during/post initial fermentatio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookworm0367

Reaction score
During my second batch of beer, a Bavarian Hefe extract kit from Northern Brewer, I had meant to add a pound of honey at flame out. I forgot to throw it in there. Looking at two options: 1. Just opening the airlock and add it to the carboy. 2. After initial fermentation is over adding it with a yeast pitch. Thoughts on these or other better options? Perhaps during bottling?

Not positive on this one, but personally I would add the honey to some water and boil before adding to the carboy. Honey has spores in it, you don't want anything to ruin your beer now! Maybe I'm over cautious but it can't hurt. You don't even need to do a boil, just keep the temp over 170F for 10-15 mins and let it cool before adding. Cover it up with aluminum foil to be extra sure nothing gets in there while its cooling.

I have added honey to the fermentor about 2 weeks after fermentation began without having heated it. Most honey has been pasteurized from what I understand. If not it may have wild yeast in it, and it would be best to boil some water, turn off the heat, add your honey, allow to cool while covered, and then add it to your beer.

I was told to add my honey this way by a guy in a brew club that brought a great honey wheat ale to a homebrew event. It was amazing! Unfortunately I haven't been able to replicate this.

If you boil the honey it will take it's honey taste from it. I'm not sure how fast this happens though... You'll need to see how long it takes to pasteurize (IIRC it's something like 15-20 mins @ 160*).

I prefer to add honey after the airlock starts slowing down. Vigorous fermentation drives off a lot of the honey aroma. Since the yeast are going to gobble up the sugars, aroma is all you have left to tell you that it was honey in there.

Honey isn't pasteurized, unless a human pasteurized it. But honey is a very clean environment by itself. I don't have all the technical terms, so forgive me. I would just go ahead and add it without boiling it or anything. You might want to heat it up so that it pours easier. To do that, I would heat the container of honey in a boiling pot of water. Take the lid off the container so it doesn't explode.

It sounds like I was better off not adding it when I originally planned to. I don't plan on using a secondary for this batch, so do I just pour it in the primary without mixing (stirring/shaking) the carboy. I am not sure when I am supposed to start worrying about oxydation during this time period. I know once you move it to the secondary/bottle that moving quietly is important.

Just pour it in.
Many people also add their honey at flame out.
I've also used honey for priming.

Thanks all for the guidance. My plan is to heat the honey up on the stove, and add it in when I remove the blow off tube from the over eager initial ferm my yeast is doing now. I have to take the blow off out and put an airlock on either way, so I might as well pour some honey in there.

I prefer to add honey after the airlock starts slowing down. Vigorous fermentation drives off a lot of the honey aroma. Since the yeast are going to gobble up the sugars, aroma is all you have left to tell you that it was honey in there.

Agree.
Wait until vigor fermentation is complete.

I always wait until after the initial fermentation is complete too. Honey is a very simple form of sugar. You want the yeast to eat the more complex sugars first then get them going again with the simple sugars. I've used pasteurized and unpasteurized honey with no issues. I don't heat it either but as long as it's cooled to pitching temps I guess it shouldn't really matter. Just open the fermentor and dump it in! Good luck!

Back