Homebrew finds chest freezer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
Today on homebrew finds was the advertisement below

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2013/06/52-deep-freeze-with-refrigeration-mode.html?m=1

It states " It also says that this particular deep freeze has a refrigerator mode. It can be set to up to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. That means you can use this is a kegerator or lagering deep freeze without the use of an external thermostat."

Im confused if i get this i can ferment in it with out a temp controller? Ot sm i just reading it wrong

50 is too cold for an all purpose fermentation chamber. Also, The best part of having a ferm chamber with a temp controller is that the controller(if set up properly) will actively keep the temp where you want it.

Used freezers from craigslist make excellent ferm chambers and can be had on the cheap(mine was 35 bucks)

CliffMongoloid said:
Today on homebrew finds was the advertisement below

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2013/06/52-deep-freeze-with-refrigeration-mode.html?m=1

It states " It also says that this particular deep freeze has a refrigerator mode. It can be set to up to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. That means you can use this is a kegerator or lagering deep freeze without the use of an external thermostat."

Im confused if i get this i can ferment in it with out a temp controller? Ot sm i just reading it wrong

Cliff,
It looks like they are just quoting the operating range of the fridge/freezer. If your intent is to ferment in it, and if you want to ferment higher than 50 degrees, which I'm assuming you will, you'll need a external temperature controller. Otherwise your fermenter will never be warmer than 50.
Does that help?

Also, I have often seen deals on there that show the 7 cu foot chest freezers (not as flexible with temps so you will need a temp controller) for about $150. Home Depot or some such. The 7 will hold 3-4 cornies on the floor with one on the compressor hump if you build a collar, or 2 fermenter buckets on the floor for a ferm chamber. Just a FYI.

Back