Malt substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
So my wife wants me to brew another batch of her favorite, my Munich Dunkel (it goes fast). The recipe is pretty simple with 90% dark Munich, 4.5% victory and 4.5% carafa special II (8oz). I only have 4oz of the carafa on hand. Would subbing 4oz of chocolate malt or even black patent, both of which I have on hand, cause any noticeable flavor changes? This is for her grad party and I want the beer to be perfect. Thanks for any advice!

So my wife wants me to brew another batch of her favorite, my Munich Dunkel (it goes fast). The recipe is pretty simple with 90% dark Munich, 4.5% victory and 4.5% carafa special II (8oz). I only have 4oz of the carafa on hand. Would subbing 4oz of chocolate malt or even black patent, both of which I have on hand, cause any noticeable flavor changes? This is for her grad party and I want the beer to be perfect. Thanks for any advice!

I'd say that you should use the chocolate malt...while your addition of either is potentially very small and may have very little impact on over all flavor... if you do get anything out of them the chocolate malt will contribute to a more true to style Munich Dunkel as the BJCP states there should be no burnt or bitter flavors present from roasted grain while mild chocolate flavors are allowed...butt...

If you don't care about it being true to style and want it to fancy your wife's liking then ask yourself what would she like more...a slight chocolate note or a slight roasted coffee note?...

Option 3... use both and bet the farm!!!

Good luck!!![emoji482]

Thanks for the feedback. My original thought was 4oz carafa and 4oz chocolate so I think that will be the plan!

Back