Malt substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
Im working on a clone recipe for an imperial brown where the original calls for Simpson’s 30/37L. What would be a good substitute? Based on the description I’m not sure just any similar L crystal would be the same. I’m thinking Caraamber but could be way off. Any suggestions appreciated.
Cheers

British crystal malts are quite distinct to me. I prefer them overall but you can certainly sub out domestic malts.

If you have access to carastan that would work well here. Otherwise you can use either c30 or c40. Another option would be a 50/50 blend of c30 and c40

Another brand of UK crystal in the same color range would be your best bet. If it's a small percentage of the grain bill a European caramel or domestic crystal of similar color would be ok but it shouldn't be difficult to find a UK crystal substitute.

British crystal malts are quite distinct to me. I prefer them overall but you can certainly sub out domestic malts.

If you have access to carastan that would work well here. Otherwise you can use either c30 or c40. Another option would be a 50/50 blend of c30 and c40
Thanks for the response. I do have access to Carastan and it was a toss up between that or Caraamber. I’ll try the Carastan!

Back