Malt Mill Adapter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/2 drill is $30 at Harbor Freight. My opinion, if you can swing it, is get a good name brand for more $$ at Home Depot.

I'm a took fanatic, and I use them a lot, so maybe my world is different than yours.

I checked my local HD on Sunday. Difficult to find corded drills and pricey too. No, I'm not interested in a cordless drill.

I see Sears has a nice craftsman 1/2" drill. Thoughts on craftsman drill?

I checked my local HD on Sunday. Difficult to find corded drills and pricey too. No, I'm not interested in a cordless drill.

I see Sears has a nice craftsman 1/2" drill. Thoughts on craftsman drill?
Craftsman was bought by Stanley Black & Decker recently FWIW. I can't speak directly to the Craftsman drill but about 4 years ago my friend gave me his ancient corded B&D 1/2" drill and it has been rock solid crushing hundreds of pounds of grain with a Maltmill. If I was buying one I'd do like several posters have already suggested and get a 1/2" corded one from Harbor Freight. Use a 20% off coupon and you should be able to get it for next to nothing.

SCfsrzl.png

So I found a cheap drill with variable speed for under $20, but it sucks, let me save you some time, don't buy this!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-6-0-Amp-1-2-Inch-Corded-Hammer-Drill-DL1137/739032180

I really wanted this to work because it was one of the only variable speed drills with a keyless chuck. Sadly, it does not have enough torque to get started and the minimum variable speed setting about 3 up from lowest will start milling but once its going RPMs spool up to be way to fast. The lower settings are better at steady state but wont start even if I try to spool up by hand. If I run it then feed grain the RPMs are too fast with no load. It is going back.

So I am a bit hesitant on the Harbor freight one now. Have people used this drill with built in variable speed with success? Granted the HF drill motor is higher amps 7.5amps vs the Walmart one is 6amps. Does this make the difference to make this useable at low speeds with enough torque? I want to be able to set it and clamp the trigger and walk away without babying it of feathering the trigger.

I have had good luck with Harbor Freight tools. You need to look at what you are buying, there is some crappy stuff.

The power drills in that price point are probably all made in the same Chinese factory!

I have the 1/2 inch heavy duty reversible hammer drill. $34.99 It might be difficult to find the right pressure on the trigger to run slowly clamped. I have never tried. I have used it for all my milling for about 6 years as well as other drilling projects.

Not sure this is much help, but I have the harbor freight 1/2" and I do have to feather the variable speed trigger but I also use a corona mill. Used without issue about a year, only about 260# run through with it.

Craftsman was bought by Stanley Black & Decker recently FWIW. I can't speak directly to the Craftsman drill but about 4 years ago my friend gave me his ancient corded B&D 1/2" drill and it has been rock solid crushing hundreds of pounds of grain with a Maltmill. If I was buying one I'd do like several posters have already suggested and get a 1/2" corded one from Harbor Freight. Use a 20% off coupon and you should be able to get it for next to nothing.

SCfsrzl.png
What is the rectangle box next to the drill? Variable speed controller? If so, where purchased?

SCfsrzl.png

This is just my opinion, but back in the day, Black and Decker was the gold standard. Then they were bought out and the quality went down. If you can get the older stuff, I'd agree, they are terrific.

The newer stuff? I've been burned by B&D so they aren't on my radar any longer.

I am not sure if you figured out a solution yet. I recently picked up a corded drill at Home Depot (I don't need a drill often and when I do my cheap cordless is always dead). They have a separate section for corded drills...I looked around by the cordless ones for a while first. Though I think a Ryobi was the only cheaper 1/2" drill and they can be hit and miss on quality.

I found this adapter on Amazon that seems like it would work if your 3/8" drill is decent (http://a.co/d/fHm8efY). My 3/8" Dewalt drill turns my Barley Crusher just fine.

Back