Malt, Hops, Yeast, and Water Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From your previous posts I know you're brewing all grain. That makes you a viable candidate for all 4.
But they're all very detailed, in-depth studies.

As a new brewer I wouldn't start with any of those, but would read Palmer's How to Brew (4th Ed.) thoroughly. That's the best oversight of the whole brewing process you can get, anywhere. That, together with HBT, will get you to good brewing in record time.
I still reference that book (3rd Ed.) on occasion. Cereal mashing, last week.

From there, start adding more depth to your knowledge.

The order of those 4 books is not all that important.
Don't read each of them front to back. Read in layers:
  1. For each, read chapter 1.
  2. Then look through the TOC for anything you recognize, things you've seen here or elsewhere, or topics that appeal, interest, or connect to you.
    Mark or make a note of them. Read those.
Depending on how fast you read and can comprehend, some topics may make little sense without having the previous experience and exposure, remaining mainly academic, hard to connect to. Skip over those parts, to return to at a later time.

Also apply reading as needed.
For example, you want to use liquid yeast in your next brew. Look up "yeast starters" in the Yeast book.

Read the Water sticky in the Brew Science forum (skim/skip the banter):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/a-brewing-water-chemistry-primer.198460/

Depending on your water source, you may need to start getting your water right first. But the Water book is so much in depth it may overwhelm you, without it fixing your water. Using a water spreadsheet (Bru'n Water, use the free version) will get you there in a few hours.

Thank you, again, for the good advice. I'm making my way through "How to Brew" currently.

I like the idea of reading through the first chapter of the element books next and then using them as a reference when needed.

I'm definitely a learn by doing rather than reading person, so I tend to read up on what I need right now so I can apply it directly to the task at hand.

Any recommendation on the best order in which to read these books?
without knowing your level of experience or style of brewing you intend to do . I have 2 books (so far) that I recommend to anyone starting to home brew .

1) Charlie Papazians - the Complete Joy of Home Brewing ( I have 3rd edition)I read it front to back a few times and keep it handy for reference.

2) Ray Daniels- Designing Great Beers. Don't dive into this book without reading the other one first and fully understanding the brewing process. This book takes you a step above beginner and with thorough understanding of its contents, I have made better beer. It covers water chemistry, hop ,yeast and malt selections for style. It doesnt give you any written recipes per se, but it does give you the tools to design and write your own ,hence its title.

These 2 books are my go to "Beer Bibles" and for now theyre all I need. If and when I find another book that takes me further ,I'll have to buy it too.

Back