BYO Ginger Saison - hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
There is a recipe in BYO (May-June) for a ginger saison. The very first hop addition is stated twice for each method of brewing (AG, PM, extract). What I mean is, it says "0.4 oz Saaz (60 min)", but then it repeats that same line right after it "0.4 oz Saaz (60 min)".

So why not "0.8 oz Saaz (60 min)"? I noticed it calls for a 90 min boil. Typo? Should first addition be at 90 min? Or was it accidentally repeated, and another 0.4 oz at 60 min would be double the actual recipe?

:confused:

Bumping just to see if anyone has any thoughts. If not I'll just add 0.8 oz @60 min.

What is the AA of the saaz hops? Are there any other additions?

The BU:GU ratio for a saison should be around .497.

So plug the numbers into your brew software and it will give you the answer.

OK, thanks beergolf. I have brewing software, just haven't really used it yet. The Saaz is listed as 3% AA and there are other additions - can't remember the details here at work. Hallertau and Styrian Goldings I think.

The recipe says it's supposed to be 15 IBU. Plugging their exact amounts and AA's into Beersmith I get 12.2 IBU for just the one addition and 17.1 IBU for the 0.8 oz at 60 min. That's including a 6.5 gal boil and late addition of the candi syrup as they list, and set the efficiency to hit their OG. Who knows, but an IBU or two won't make much difference. I'd throw in .75 oz at 60 and call it a day.

The recipe says it's supposed to be 15 IBU. Plugging their exact amounts and AA's into Beersmith I get 12.2 IBU for just the one addition and 17.1 IBU for the 0.8 oz at 60 min. That's including a 6.5 gal boil and late addition of the candi syrup as they list, and set the efficiency to hit their OG. Who knows, but an IBU or two won't make much difference. I'd throw in .75 oz at 60 and call it a day.
Thanks man I appreciate it! :mug: I agree about the IBUs - anywhere close is good enough for me.

I noticed this too and emailed the author, the second addition is supposed to be .0.4 oz Saaz (45 min)

Latest posts

Back