welded versus weldless, where do you stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottsdaleBrewingCo

Reaction score
Lots of comments by suppliers on the benefits of welded versus weldless fittings on brew pots and fermentors, I'm interested what you think and whether it really matters to those who buy and brew?

Most of my brewing equipment has both installed. Been brewing for years, and haven't noticed a difference. I'm sure long term (years and years), the weldless gaskets will fail. But if you don't have access to a welder, or simply just like doing stuff yourself, than it is surely a viable option.

Nothing wrong with weldless. It's easier for many folks, especially those just starting out who don't want to invest a lot of time or money into something they don't know they'll stick with. I bought a bag of the o-rings from McMaster. That allowed me to easily add or reconfigure new items on my various pots whenever I wanted. I didn't need to seek out someone to weld a fitting on every time. This offers a lot of flexibility in putting a new system together. You can always weld up later if you are not satisfied.

I just recently started soldering my connections as time permits. That's a nice option, too.

For DIY, welded just is not practical.
Too hard to find a welder that can do sanitary tig welds for cheap.
Too easy to end up with a crappy weld.
Not fatal on a brew pot but fatal on a fermenter.
Lots of good weldless fittings out there. A good design won't leak.

Silver solder sounds like a nice alternative.
I have been meaning to try it.

For non-DIY welded is great.
No twisting, no small parts to lose. Easier to clean.

I had my brewery welded by a guy who "could weld anything." Many hours later remapping the treads in the welded unions he overheated and grinding down all the sugared welds and repasivating the welded areas I had brew pots. He got some if the fittings in crooked, so I couldn't use a regular sight glass. So, if you go welded make sure you spend the money on a reputable welder.

I had my brewery welded by a guy who "could weld anything." Many hours later remapping the treads in the welded unions he overheated and grinding down all the sugared welds and repasivating the welded areas I had brew pots. He got some if the fittings in crooked, so I couldn't use a regular sight glass. So, if you go welded make sure you spend the money on a reputable welder.

Pretty much this. Taking cost and finding a good welder out of the picture, I don't think anyone would take weldless over welded. With that being said finding a good stainless steel welder is damn hard and paying for that good SS welding isn't cheap.

SpikeBrewing said:
Pretty much this. Taking cost and finding a good welder out of the picture, I don't think anyone would take weldless over welded. With that being said finding a good stainless steel welder is damn hard and paying for that good SS welding isn't cheap.

You're right about that. Half of the cost of a brewery is the welding.

I used to use weldless until I taught myself to solder. I'm now slowly but surely converting all my weldless fittings to soldered. It just makes cleaning so much easier if you can take down and reinstall all of your fittings without worrying about the O-rings leaking. No O-rings, no washers, no compression, it's great and you don't have to pay/find a welder.

Ravenshead said:
I used to use weldless until I taught myself to solder. I'm now slowly but surely converting all my weldless fittings to soldered. It just makes cleaning so much easier if you can take down and reinstall all of your fittings without worrying about the O-rings leaking. No O-rings, no washers, no compression, it's great and you don't have to pay/find a welder.

Are you using a MAP torch or do you need acetylene?

Propane is actually better than MAPP though I've used both. Acetylene is way too much. It takes patience but MAPP gas can get too hot for this application. There's a sticky on this forum that will tell you all you need to know.

Ravenshead said:
Propane is actually better than MAPP though I've used both. Acetylene is way too much. It takes patience but MAPP gas can get too hot for this application. There's a sticky on this forum that will tell you all you need to know.

Alright, I'll go search for it. Thanks man. Ill have to try it out if my weldless I just installed fails.

Back