Making syrup for 5 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepathlesstaken

Reaction score
Little background on my soda adventures:

Been brewing them for close to two years, pretty much my own recipes and yes they have been exceptionally tasty. All done with force carbonation and five gallon corny kegs.

I am looking to mix my own syrup on site using river water to chill my kegs so I can force carbonate them. I don't even have the slightest idea of where to start to make syrup for five gallon batches.

My guesstimate is:

Ingredients for 5 gallons

Render ingredents for that 5 gallons i.e. add them to the pot and do whatever process you do to them.

Add the sugar to the at the end of the render.

Simmer that batch down to volume X (mason jars ect).

** EXAMPLE **

I boil 2 gallons of water for my ginger soda
Add sugar (4-5 cups)
Render down to two quarts I am guessing

I guess the biggest question I am having is what volume to start with and what volume it ends up as.

I'm not sure what you are asking. You don't say why you are making a syrup instead of a soda, or what concentration you want it to be. If you want to follow the lead of the industry, commercial BinB machines generally use a 5:1 ratio. Just make up syrup and water to one gallon and add 4 parts water when ready to go.

Back