Making Malta (aka Wort Soda)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravityspiral

Reaction score
My sister doesn't drink anymore (even NA beer) so I've been looking into cool stuff that I can do once I get a kegging system. The obvious solution comes to mind: buying syrup and adding water and just force carbing. But, there's this stuff called Malta which is basically just carbonated wort - no fermentation. You can find it in Florida and some other states, but it's mostly consumed in other countries. It's also a good meal substitute for sick children. Wiki link here.

I'd like to try my hand at making this, so I'm looking for advice. And no, you don't have to know what malta tastes like to offer your input, I'm more looking for advice on ratios, hops type, etc. - or if you've ever wanted to make wort soda, pitch in your ideas now! There are some other threads here of people trying to replicate/clone Malta recipes, but I'd like to have something original.

Here are my ideas:
Start with a base of Maillard DME (6lbs? 3.5lbs? I don't know how much is good for a 5 gallon batch) and add some molasses.
For hops, I was thinking a 15 or 30 minute boil with Chinook? Or perhaps even just dry hopping with some Saaz? Hit me!

*edit: it's important to mention I don't have an all-grain setup yet. Once I get a mash tun and HLT (christmas!) I can look into more specialized all grain recipes

Never heard of it but it kind of sounds like paskmust which I came here looking for a recipe to make. Let me know how your experiments go.

I always drink a cup of wort after the mash and before the boil, and the tastiest ones (to me) always are the dark ones: stouts and porters. I'd think you'd get good results from a darker wort with some crystal and maybe some chocolate malt and roasted barley.

Latest posts

Back