Making a beer recipe in BeerSmith - HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to use a BeerSmith for the first time and I can't get the recipe right. Gravity is always to low, and colour to high for APA. Did I used the wrong equipment for 21 L batch?

Here is the screenshot of the recipe:
apa.jpg

Thank you all for the help.

I think the issue is that it is marked as an "Extract" batch. That is why the Mash option is disabled. So this is probably the gravity from steeping your grains vs mashing. Is the Batch Size of 11,02 L correct? That is the amount you expect into the fermenter.

I have been using beersmith for years and still find it frustrating. I don't do partial mashs but you have set the type as extract but you have 5kg of base malt in your grist. I assume the profile thinks you are steeping the grains rather than mashing which would result in a low gravity.

With regards to colour it is likely because you have a large amount of crystal in there. Reduce the amount below 10% if you want it to style. Note that styles are just guidelines so don't feel constrained by them if you're not entering competitions.

I have an earlier version than you have, so I do not know exactly what you need to do. Looking at that recipe you have 15 lbs of grain in a 3 gallon batch, so it is calculating ~5% efficiency ..... not good.

You need to go into your options tab and set your mash efficiency (probably somewhere around 70 to 75% - might already be set there as the default value). Then change the recipe 'Type' from extract to Mash, and change the batch size to the size you are making (21 L), and with that recipe, your OG should end up somewhere around 1.100.

I think the issue is that it is marked as an "Extract" batch. That is why the Mash option is disabled. So this is probably the gravity from steeping your grains vs mashing. Is the Batch Size of 11,02 L correct? That is the amount you expect into the fermenter.
That was the problem. I didn't changed the option from extract to all grain. Also, the batch size will be 11.02L.

Thank you all!

Back