makeitstout - a DIY homebrew blog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwill07

Reaction score
hey guys, I hope you don't mind me plugging this, but I've started a blog to chronicle all of my builds. I did it as a single web-page vs here because I wanted to share with my local homebrew club, friends, family, etc and not post to a web forum. Also, to learn about blogging and web page writing and all of that.

anyway, my blog is http://makeitstout.com/.

So far, I have documented my fermentation fridge (really, an STC-1000 hard-wired into an old side-by-side), cutting my keggle , wiring my control box, and building the stand.

Thanks!

I should talk a little bit about what I'm doing and why. Currently, I brew on a propane burner in an 8 gallon kettle. I mash in a 5 gallon igloo cooler that seems to have trouble maintaining temps (or I'm too impatient to let things settle before making adjustments). I have had a hell of a time hitting my mash temps - it's too hot so I add ice, then it's too cold so I add boiling water, meanwhile I have no idea exactly how much water is in there.

I live just outside of Charlotte, so weather is almost always nice enough to brew outside. If it's not, if you wait a week, things will be fine. So, brewing outside is my preference.

I want an electric system because I'm tired of messing around with propane and/or natural gas. I like the precision of electric controls, plus I feel pretty confident in my ability to wire electronics.

We recently remodeled the basement. I did not get the green-light from the wife to add a brewery. She is a real-estate agent and didn't think a brewery would add the equity an additional bedroom would, so that was the end of that. What I got was basically a closet to store my gear. The garage - not really an option. I'd like to actually park cars there and not have brew gear strewn about. So - I need a rig that's easy to haul outside, set-up, and brew.

I love the Kal clone - that's pretty much state-of-the-art for electric rigs. However, I feel that it's way equipment intensive. I should be able to do with much less - BIAB seems to fit that bill.

So - here is the goal: BIAB, electric, all built into one simple, easy to move cart. I want to wheel the cart outside, plug it in, fill it up, brew, clean, and put away in less than 4 hours. 3 would be even better (if I can go with a 20 min mash and 45 min boil, I think that's doable).

You want to build it yourself or use something that you can plug in and brew with? I've done the short mash and boil and the beer is Ok, but I haven't done it more than once.

You want to build it yourself or use something that you can plug in and brew with? I've done the short mash and boil and the beer is Ok, but I haven't done it more than once.

Oh, I'm building it all myself. Building stuff is half the fun of homebrewing, right? If I wasn't into DIY, I'd just buy craft beer and be done with this whole madness.

Back