I need to be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickjagger

Reaction score
Hi HBT

Im a new brewer so bear with me.

Wednesday 8pm I pitched the yeast.
Thursday morning a saw a nice foam head about 6" high. Thursday evening the foam head was visible.
Friday morning the foam head was down to half an inch.
I'm brewing an IPA from a brewhouse kit.
Room temp is about 20-21 degrees Celsius.
And it's being fermenting in a plastic pale.
And I've covered up the pail with a blanket because the room is facing south and it's very bright.

Primary fermentation takes 3-5 days so I'm worried that there might be a problem.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers
Dan

fermentation can take any number of days, or weeks. just let the yeast do it's thing and take gravity readings after a week or two.

If the room is 21C, that means the fermenting beer could easily be 26C or more. That means a hot and fast (sometimes explosive!) fermentation and most yeast strains would ferment out overnight at those high temperatures.

Nothing to worry about as far as fermentation, as it's simply done, but next time try to keep the fermenting beer at a much lower temperature. If you have a chance to grab a stick-on thermometer like those on fish aquariums, and can keep the beer at 18-20C (not the room temperature!) then the beer will taste better for it.

Fermentation itself produces heat and I've personally seen a 6C difference between the fermenting beer temperature and the ambient temperature!

If the room is 21C, that means the fermenting beer could easily be 26C or more. That means a hot and fast (sometimes explosive!) fermentation and most yeast strains would ferment out overnight at those high temperatures.

Nothing to worry about as far as fermentation, as it's simply done, but next time try to keep the fermenting beer at a much lower temperature. If you have a chance to grab a stick-on thermometer like those on fish aquariums, and can keep the beer at 18-20C (not the room temperature!) then the beer will taste better for it.

Fermentation itself produces heat and I've personally seen a 6C difference between the fermenting beer temperature and the ambient temperature!

Thank you for your advise.
I will move next batch to the basement. There it's steadily 18 degrees Celsius.
Hopefully the taste of the IPA will not be affected to much. I'm thinking of racking the beer to the carboy this Sunday.

Thanks again for your replies.

A cheap idea is to keep your pail of beer in a large container of water. The water will help stabilize your temps. You can even put it in the bathtub. Add ice as the fermentation produces heat to keep the temp steady. Even the in the lower basement temps your brew will have a temperature spike, but it'll be better than what you had last batch.

More expensive option is getting a fridge with a temp controller to maintain the temperature of your ferment.

Best,

northcal said:
A cheap idea is to keep your pail of beer in a large container of water. The water will help stabilize your temps. You can even put it in the bathtub. Add ice as the fermentation produces heat to keep the temp steady. Even the in the lower basement temps your brew will have a temperature spike, but it'll be better than what you had last batch.

More expensive option is getting a fridge with a temp controller to maintain the temperature of your ferment.

Best,

I have already read about the fridge build.
This is a great idea and I will search the forum for some DIY ideas.

Thanks for your advice.

I have already read about the fridge build.
This is a great idea and I will search the forum for some DIY ideas.

Thanks for your advice.

i just say a small fridge for sale on craigslist for $40 yesterday and i'm sure there are lots more around the country for that much or almost free if you get the pennysaver. i got a full size fridge for my serving kegs in a trade for a motorcycle jack and i've seen those for free on craigslist too.

Back