M-43 clone recipe: looking for recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender1983

Reaction score
I was looking for M-43 clone recipe, and here is what i came up with. Looking for recommendations :

9lbs Pilsner
2lbs Wheat
2lbs Flaked oats (guy from the actual brewery suggested to use more oats)

1 oz Amarillo - boil 60 minutes

Hop stand 15 minutes @180F:
0.5 oz Calypso
0.5 oz Simcoe
1 oz Citra

Dry hop:
3 oz Citra
1.5 oz Simcoe
1.5 oz Amarillo

Mash at 152.
Danstar Nottingham yeast

I've been putting a lot of thought into this recipe as well. To me the mouth feel is thicker than any other IPA so I wondered if they mash higher than 152.

The hops are specified on the label.

IMG_1133.JPG

I was looking for M-43 clone recipe, and here is what i came up with. Looking for recommendations :

9lbs Pilsner
2lbs Wheat

0.5 oz Calypso
0.5 oz Simcoe
1 oz Citra

Dry hop:
3 oz Citra
1.5 oz Simcoe
1.5 oz Amarillo

Mash at 152.
Danstar Nottingham yeast

Your grain bill is a good starting point. I'm assuming this is a 5 gallon batch? Ive never tired Nottingham, but it may work! Kudos for experimenting and not using 1318 like everybody else. As long as its a British ale yeast, it'll make NEIPA. Always make a starter.

FYI - when brewing NEIPA, I use more than double the amount of hops you have listed in a 2.5 gallon batch. To achieve the level of saturation that M43 has in a homebrew scale, prepare to use north of 3/4lb of hops across a 40-50ibu bittering charge of calypso and a heavy 8-10 oz whirlpool addition of amarillo and citra. You'll want to dry hop about 1.5oz per gallon in a blend of simcoe, citra, and amarillo near the tail end of fermentation about 2-3 days prior to kegging.

Minimize exposure to oxygen or you'll end up with a dark brown, oxidized, cardboard tasting drain pour. For this reason, I do not recommend bottling a NEIPA. Be sure to purge your kegs of oxygen with c02 before transferring.

Happy brewing

This yeast has tons of yeast sediment on the bottom of the can, I'm planning to decant all 4 of them and stepping up a starter for my own NEIPA. Super good brew imo and the recipe looks solid!

9lbs Pilsner
2lbs Wheat

0.5 oz Calypso
0.5 oz Simcoe
1 oz Citra

Dry hop:
3 oz Citra
1.5 oz Simcoe
1.5 oz Amarillo

Mash at 152.
Danstar Nottingham yeast

How did this turn out?

I want to brew this as well. When I finally decided to harvest yeast from their cans the 4 pack I purchased didn't have any sediment.

I'm pretty sure the sediment in the bottom isn't just yeast from the look, feel and taste I would say its oat or wheat flour. I would be interested to know of it cultured OK. I love this beer and am looking into figuring out a recipe to try and recreate it...

Back