Kegerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydnly5

Reaction score
I want to start kegging beers instead of bottling them. Can someone suggest a reliable and relatively inexpensive kegerator? Is there anything that I need in a kegerator for home brewing vs just buying kegs from the store. Need some advice before spend big money on a unit or buy a crappy used one.
Thanks

Kind of depends on what you consider "inexpensive." I personally think one of the most cost efficient ways to go is to convert a chest freezer, but you can still end up over $500 easily putting it together.

Probably the cheapest would be to buy a used fridge and drill through the door to mount your taps. You are probably talking $100-$200 worth of equipment plus the cost of the fridge.

I was thinking in the 500 range. I have seen some on Craigslist that look ok but I am just unsure if there is something I should be looking for as it relates to homebrews vs just buying a keg at the store. I can also be persuaded to spend a little more if there are benefits to doing so. I would prefer to not convert a fridge and have a unit with some aesthetic value because this will be in the kitchen and I am know my wife will want to match the other stainless steel appliances.

The ceapest I every had was $10.

I got a fridge from somebody remodiling their kitchen.

I did not bother to punch holes in it and just opened up and used the "cobra-heads" to get my beer.

I used the frezzer part for my Beer Glasses.

I had to take out the Vegitable trays and add a peice of pylwood and it held 5 kegs...

For aesthetic value, you can either build your own cabinet (some great examples in the "Do It Yourself" section of the forums) or buy an actual Kegerator. If you shop around a bit you can probably find a unit for under $500 depending on how many kegs you want it to hold.

The problem you will run into with buying an actual kegerator is that you probably won't get as much usable space-per-dollar (vs building your own out of a fridge/chest freezer) and they will most likely be setup for commercial sanke kegs, where odds are you will be using a cornelius keg (or kegs). Only about $25 worth of parts to convert it for cornies though.

I think that I would like to fit 2 corny kegs so I can have multiple batches going at once

Most inexpensive: used full size frige from Craigslsit ~ up to $50 plus conversion kit, freezer on top is bonus. (4-5 kegs)

Small spaces: large dorm fridge (4.6 cu ft+) ~$50-200 for two kegs plus conversion kit.

Room for expansion/best use of keg space: biggest chest freezer you can afford, new or used $100-400 plus conversion kit. Personally would go for 12 cu ft plus. (2-12 kegs)

My setup: two full size used fridges, one for kegs, one for fermentation. Not the best use of space but least expensive. (4-5 kegs)

EDIT: GO PERLICKS, or use picnic taps until you can afford Perlicks. You will not regret it, stuck faucets take all the fun out of a kegerator.

I think that I would like to fit 2 corny kegs so I can have multiple batches going at once

If you do your homework you can get setup for about $400. Here is my setup that cost just under $400.....

IMG_0798.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg

I found the fridge brand new on CL for $100. The conversion kit cost about $300 including the kegs from Beverage Factory.

Dude, How cheap do you want to go? I have every penny of a whopping 84 dollars in mine. That includes the controller, the heat mat and the freezer. It works perfectly and maintains whatever temp I set it to within 1/2 degree Centigrade. Your expense is only driven by your extravagance. So if your lookin for cheap, it is easy and can be done for way less than 100 bucks, A bit more if you add faucets and a keg system, but your gonna end up buying that stuff anyway, so just count the keezer stuff for total money.

Wheelchair Bob

I agree with the posts about your level of want is what will determine your price. I bought a lack mini fridge from CL for 60$. Then I got my keg supplies from homebrewing.org.
Ball lock keg, disconnects, hoses, co2 tank, regulator, perlick faucet, shank, wrench and maybe something's I'm missing... Cost about 300$ then I wanted to build my own top and tower to it.

The keg system kit came with a picnic faucet, so if I only got that and decided to just open the fridge and picnic tap it every time.. I would have spent about 230+ fridge.

But I also wanted to build my own top and tower to mine so that cost me alot more money. It all depends on what you want man.

You can do it cheap just hunt around on Craigslist for as many parts as you can before you buy from online stores.

That just an appartment fridge?

It's a danby mini fridge converted to a kegerator. Danby sells them already converted but are about $500 for a single tap and no kegs. The danby fridge is favored among many hombrewers. Google danby fridge or check out the DIY forum on this site for more info.

Back