AHS, Midwest, NB Exclusive Strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlakota

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with any of the exclusive strains the big online stores offer? I cant really find more than the descriptions on their websites or maybe one experience on here. There is nothing on Wyeast or White Labs sites.

AHS: WLP560 Classic Saison Blend
WLP085 English Blend
WLP299 Persica Ale
WLP295 Pacific Coast Lager
Wyeast Greenbelt

Midwest: Wyeast Headwaters Ale

NB: Wyeast 1945 Neobritannia

I'm most interested in WLP560, WLP299, Wyeast Greenbelt, and Wyeast Headwaters, but any info on any of these would be great. Anyone use any of these?

I used the Greenbelt (Austin) strain on an IPA and was pretty happy with it. Very neutral, medium/high flocculation, similar description on other American Ale yeasts. The claim is that it ends in a more "hop forward" profile. I really can't speak to that point directly since I didn't do any direct comparison to another strain. My impression was that it left a malty mouth-feel, and had very little flavor contribution. That would explain the hop claims. all in all, a very nice American ale strain.

I've used WLP299 Persica Ale several times.
Basic APAs with Falconer's Flight & another few with all Southern hemisphere hops.
I like the bit of fruitiness it adds with those. It works well with the PNW style hops, but not, IMO, as good as 001 or 060. It says it works best at 68-78, but I like it better at 64-66

I do keep it in my rotation. Good yeast

I use wlp299 for IPA's. In my opinion it is a brings a nice peach aroma to the party. It seems to knock out some off the bittering and does not floc quite as well as wlp001.

Fermentation temps can go to 70 in my setup which works for swamp cooling in the summer.

I did win a club brewing contest with a hoppy orange pale Ale using that yeast.

Persica may become my house yeast.

Reviving this from the dead.

I'm brewing what we are calling the rap battle. I'm doing a 10 gallon batch of Pre-Prohibition American Lager and splitting it in two. One fermentor will have the East Coast Lager yeast (WLP840) which comes from the Christian Schmidt (Philadelphia) brewery in Philadelphia, the second fermentor will have the West Coast Lager yeast (WLP295) from Austin Homebrew.

Back