Discouraging Dandelions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
So I went and picked a buttload of dandelions for some wine. What I didn't realize was I needed to pluck the greens the moment I picked them. I had a Paper grocery bag about half full, and I put them in the truck for most of the day. They closed up tighter than Fort Knox and they were all wet n sticky :(

Sunshine and watter may revive them. Worth a shot. Dump them in a shallow pan of water and place in indirect sunlight. Give them an hour or two and see if miricals really do happen.

Oh, man, that sucks!

A couple of things that might help- pick dandelions on a sunny day (when they are wide open) and then immediately sit in the shade and start de-petaling them as they close up fast. I put my petals in a ziploc bag and freeze them until I have enough. Then, pick some more. If you pick bags full at once, they close up way before you get more than a little way through them. they close up a bit anyway, but they are easier to depetal when just picked. So, pick a few, depetal a few. Pick a few more, depetal.

Dandelion wine is a labor of love, because it's work for sure!

Yep, we have PLENTY of bright, vibrant, healthy dandelions daily now. I see now it's going to be quite an undertaking. Hell, it took and hour or so just to pick the ones I did!

Yep, we have PLENTY of bright, vibrant, healthy dandelions daily now. I see now it's going to be quite an undertaking. Hell, it took and hour or so just to pick the ones I did!

We talked about dandelion wine during dinner tonight. We still have 2+ feet of snow on the ground, but when I mentioned "dandelion wine", I immediately got an "oh, no. NO. I'm NOT helping with that project this year!" I guess he remembers the other dandelion projects. :cross:

Lots of work, but the wine can be exquisite!

So I went and picked a buttload of dandelions for some wine. What I didn't realize was I needed to pluck the greens the moment I picked them. I had a Paper grocery bag about half full, and I put them in the truck for most of the day. They closed up tighter than Fort Knox and they were all wet n sticky :(

Your best bet is to take that bag and throw it in the garbage and buy some grapes to crush...if your dandelion wine tastes anything like mine did hahahaha.

My wife and I separated about 3 gallons of flowers with crowns down to one overstuffed 1 gallon ziplock full of pretty yellow flowers. It is now in the freezer.

Our fingers and eyes hurt, but we had some nice conversation over last year's apple wine. more fun than shucking beans!
We're going for 6 gallons, so we have a ways to go , but we're just going to do it a little at a time till we get her done.

our friends came over to dinner and helped out for a bit and one offered to buy me some wine. I guess he missed the point.

Your best bet is to take that bag and throw it in the garbage and buy some grapes to crush...if your dandelion wine tastes anything like mine did hahahaha.

GRAPES??? BLECHHH...... grapes are for... well, I don't know....feeding deer?

My wife and I separated about 3 gallons of flowers with crowns down to one overstuffed 1 gallon ziplock full of pretty yellow flowers. It is now in the freezer.

Our fingers and eyes hurt, but we had some nice conversation over last year's apple wine. more fun than shucking beans!
We're going for 6 gallons, so we have a ways to go , but we're just going to do it a little at a time till we get her done.

our friends came over to dinner and helped out for a bit and one offered to buy me some wine. I guess he missed the point.

MMmmm... i love the apple. I got 5 gal I just put in secondary and 5 in its second racking. Plus a gallon of apple/cherry nearing completion of its primary.

Latest posts

Back