Crystal Malt - lower rating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Likefully

Reaction score
Over here I asked about this recipe.

The recipe requires .5 lbs 80 L/SRM Crystal Malt.

The company I buy my grain from only supplies a 30 SRM Crystal Malt. I understand the difference in the numbers thanks to this thread

I can get the 80L somewhere else, but then it becomes a bit expensive because of postage. Can I double up (or use 2.6x) on the 30 SRM Crystal Malt to hypothetically get closer to the 80 L (2.6 x 30 = 80) sweetness and caramel level or is that going to throw the recipe off?

Thank you

You can't really double the crystal of a lower lovibond for the same results- there is more than color to consider.

Crystal 30L is caramelly sweet, while 80L has more of a "toffee" flavor to it.

You can sub an equal amount of 30L for the 80L, but the taste will be a bit different.

As an example, if you're making spaghetti sauce but don't have garlic, you can use something else, like salt, and it will still be good but different. Doubling the salt would NOT be good, though!

Fizgig thanks for that lead, have you tried this? I am interested in how important the 2-6 weeks after the oven time is?

I have not tried it. I'm not sure why the rest time is there either, it doesn't seem necessary to me, it seems it would only even out moisture content.

Back